Build for business (Bulk file storage) Looking for suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC65535

Cadet
We have a a department who likes to store a lot of raw and high resolution photo's and poorly compressed video. We currently have a Synology DS1815+ which we are using for storing secondary backups and images along with serving other function's. We are looking at getting another device of some sort to store that departments content on, The two options I came up with are FreeNAS or a DS1517+ (which would allow us to use potentially some HA features and easy syncing between devices)

I parted out the following as a possible FreeNAS build:
Pentium G4560
SuperMicro MBD-X11SSM-F-O
8GB Kingston ECC RAM
Norco RPC-2008
SeaSonic SS-400
Totaling around $630
Storage would consist of either new SATA enterprise HDD's or potentionally reusing some older 2TB HDD's from our old EMC SAN

I thought about a RPC-2208 but that would require a SFF-8087 HBA, the RPC-2212 Would be nice due the additional 4 bays but needs 3 SFF-8087's, or potentially a 3U chassis and use a standard ATX form factor PSU (Rather shocked at the prices of redundant PSU's)

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about possible part's should I go with a stronger CPU or more RAM, or change out other components as well. This wont be a heavily hit file share so adding a cache isn't really necessary

melloa

Wizard
stronger CPU or more RAM,

If you wouldn't be running any jail/plugin/etc a Pentium should be fine, but I'd plan for future and get an E3 (cost difference ~$150+).

Memory, again 8GB is the minimum required, but with multiple users, you could benefit from more memory for ZFS use. I'd start with 16GB+.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
We have a a department who likes to store a lot of raw and high resolution photo's and poorly compressed video. We currently have a Synology DS1815+ which we are using for storing secondary backups and images along with serving other function's. We are looking at getting another device of some sort to store that departments content on, The two options I came up with are FreeNAS or a DS1517+ (which would allow us to use potentially some HA features and easy syncing between devices)

I parted out the following as a possible FreeNAS build:
Pentium G4560
SuperMicro MBD-X11SSM-F-O
8GB Kingston ECC RAM
Norco RPC-2008
SeaSonic SS-400
Totaling around $630
Storage would consist of either new SATA enterprise HDD's or potentionally reusing some older 2TB HDD's from our old EMC SAN

I thought about a RPC-2208 but that would require a SFF-8087 HBA, the RPC-2212 Would be nice due the additional 4 bays but needs 3 SFF-8087's, or potentially a 3U chassis and use a standard ATX form factor PSU (Rather shocked at the prices of redundant PSU's)

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about possible part's should I go with a stronger CPU or more RAM, or change out other components as well. This wont be a heavily hit file share so adding a cache isn't really necessary

One thing that you might want to consider is picking up a used supermicro server from Ebay. You'll probably want something x9-based.

danb35

Hall of Famer
One thing that you might want to consider is picking up a used supermicro server from Ebay.
This is what I'm thinking. You can get a lot of capacity and a solid system for relatively little money.

PC65535

Cadet
Storage wise we currently don't need much for them currently. I am estimating current storage to be ~1TB (as they have stuff they need to offload from external USB based storage) but they never delete anything and with higher and higher resolution camera's and recordings files just keep on getting bigger, besides we in the IT dept may play around and store some stuff on it to. I was thinking of a RAID-Z2 setup for double parity, and use snapshots and file-syncing for anything important to our older DS1815+. I'll look around on eBay as well at those SuperMicro boxes, but in general we have preferred buying new.
Does anybody know if PC4-2400T (HP Smart Memory) 8GB (HP Spare #852545-001) and 16GB (Spare # 845740-001) sticks would work with that supermicro board I listed above, we an extra 8GB and 16GB stick of this DDR4-RAM from a server build, I know I tried them in an AsRock Rack E2C236D4U I own without any success.

danb35

Hall of Famer
With storage requirements that low, rather than looking at the used Supermicro gear, look instead at a new HP Proliant ML10. Under $200 from Tiger Direct. Add an 8 GB stick of RAM and whatever drives you want to use (4 x 3 TB or 4 TB in RAIDZ2 would give you plenty of room to grow), and you're up and running.

PC65535

Cadet
With storage requirements that low, rather than looking at the used Supermicro gear, look instead at a new HP Proliant ML10. Under $200 from Tiger Direct. Add an 8 GB stick of RAM and whatever drives you want to use (4 x 3 TB or 4 TB in RAIDZ2 would give you plenty of room to grow), and you're up and running.
Thats a pretty amazing deal looking at it, would prefer rack mount and external 3.5" bays personally but cost can weight in a lot too. Also IMPI is a very nice feature to have

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm not at all sure you couldn't put one in a rack (like on a shelf), but it obviously isn't designed for that. And, as you note, no hot-swap bays. Still, in terms of bang-for-buck, it seems hard to beat. I believe @gpsguy has one of these now.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Also IMPI is a very nice feature to have
Agreed. The Proliant models say they have Intel's AMT, but I'm not sure if that provides iKVM like IPMI does.

ChriZ

Patron
Regarding your previous question about HP Spare #852545-001: This is registered memory. That's why it did not work in your ASRock motherboard.
And it won't work with x11ssm, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.