Build check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I'm new to FreeNas and server stuff, and i would be glad if someone could have a peek at my build and check its viability.
This will be a build for a small company, and my first build in general.
There will be around 10 persons using the server at the same time, 3 of them accessing CAD files and working on the server, the other 7 will be using excel mostly.
The drives will be set up as RAID1 (or similar)
I'll be using a USB Sandisk 32GB as a boot drive

Here is the build:
CPU: Intel - Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor #BX80662I36100 €105.72
Motherboard: Supermicro - MBD-X11SSL-F-O Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard #MBD-X11SSL-F-O €147.34
Memory: 2 x Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 ECC Memory #CT8G4RFS424A €128.26 (each)
Storage: 2 x Western Digital - Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive #WD20EFRX €89.53 (each)
Case: Cooler Master - N300 ATX Mid Tower Case #NSE-300-KKN1 €41.55
Power Supply: SeaSonic - ECO 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply #SSR-430ST €56.93
Total: €802.18

Thank you all for you time

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The drives will be set up as RAID1 (or similar)
I don't see any problems with this. Here is a guide to the terminology though. It will help you when you have questions:

Terminology and Abbreviations Primer
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

This is a guide to doing burn-in testing on the system before you start loading any data to it:

Building, Burn-In, and Testing your FreeNAS system
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/building-burn-in-and-testing-your-freenas-system.38/

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Inxsible

Guru
, 3 of them accessing CAD files and working on the server, the other 7 will be using excel mostly.
I think you need a higher end CPU if 3 people are going to work with files on the server.
My recommendation, however would be to have the users copy over the files to their own machines and do the work there and then copy the edited files back to the server. Not sure how feasible that is in your company. With this scenario, you might want to invest in 10Gb Network cards --- at least for those 3 users.

I don't see any problems with this.

I don't mean to sound rude, but what is your opinion in using something like WD My Cloud Pro for this? I'd much rather use FreeNAS, but I wont be at the workplace for a few months at a time, and i'm afraid it needs basic maintenance which i wont be able to provide. If set up correctly will it need regular love? (there might be a few user additions while i'm out)

I think you need a higher end CPU if 3 people are going to work with files on the server.
My recommendation, however would be to have the users copy over the files to their own machines and do the work there and then copy the edited files back to the server. Not sure how feasible that is in your company. With this scenario, you might want to invest in 10Gb Network cards --- at least for those 3 users.

What would you suggest? Would a better i3-6xxx be enough or should i move to Xeon line? Going up from my current cpu would be doubling it's price.
They are all using laptops, so network card isn't an option.
Thank you for your suggestions

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I don't mean to sound rude, but what is your opinion in using something like WD My Cloud Pro for this? I'd much rather use FreeNAS, but I won't be at the workplace for a few months at a time, and i'm afraid it needs basic maintenance which i won't be able to provide. If set up correctly will it need regular love? (there might be a few user additions while i'm out)
If the system does not have any hardware failure, it can run without intervention for months, but adding users would require administration. There are ways to setup remote access, then you can do it from a distance, but you might want to consider having a person who is able to work on the FreeNAS local to the system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

rvassar

Guru
I would not use a USB boot device. Certainly not if you're going to be away from it for weeks at a time. Get a small cheap SATA SSD for the boot pool.

I would not use a USB boot device. Certainly not if you're going to be away from it for weeks at a time. Get a small cheap SATA SSD for the boot pool.

Thank you for the tip, I've replaced the USB drive with a Kingston 120Gb SSD (can't find smaller in my country, its sad :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.