Build a Truenas server with 7x8TB raidz2

teapot9

Cadet
Hello,

While I have known ZFS for some time, this is my first time actually using it.

My current NAS has 15TB used space and I need more storage.
I recently got a supermicro CSE-846 server, probably overkill for my needs, with an Intel XEON E5620, and 24GB RAM included.

I plan to get 6x8TB or 7x8TB HDD in a raidz2 vdev for my main stogage.

Stored data:
  • Mostly media files: pictures, videos (a lot), music.
  • Some git repositories and source code, but most of the code is either on github or gitlab.
  • A dozen VMs, some are experimental, and others are hosting personal services (media sharing/streaming, file hosting, backup services, ...).
I am thinking of getting 3x1TB or 3x2TB SSD in raidz1 to store the VMs.

For backups, I currently have an offsite backup server where I also plan to use Truenas with daily replication.
I would like to transfert my current 5x6TB HDDs in there and add some more to get a 8x6TB raidz2.
Currently, the backup server has 1x12TB HDD with an incomplete backup.
I am not sure what I will do with this drive. Maybe keep it as cold spare or backup, or for a possible future vdev with 12TB drives, or sell it on ebay.

So here are some questions:

1. Is there any remarks regarding my plan? Or need more informations?

2. Are my raidz vdevs reasonably sized (number of drive, size of drives)?
Since I have backups, I don't feel too afraid of fatal pool failure. But restoring from backup would be a pain I don't want to live every n months.

3. Considering resilvering time of 8TB drives, is loosing too many drives something I should worry about (with 6 or 7 drives in raidz2)?

4. What is the advantage of having a cold/hot spare? Would having a spare be equivalent to running a raidz3?

5. All I need to backup from the system itself is the configuration and the encryption keys, am I right?

6. Is ZFS record size something I should worry about? Or is the 128K default fine anywhere?
Since I sort my data by type, I was wondering if I would get any advantages from using different record size for videos than other data.

Thank you

NugentS

MVP
Keep the 12TB, stick it in a USB case and use it as an emergency cold backup by copying files to it and then unplugging and placing in a safe / secure point. It won't hold all the files - but should be the ones you really don't want to loose. Or keep it as the first drive in a future vdev.
1. Seems sensible - just follow the recommended hardware for TrueNAS
2. Seems good - you are allowing for more than one failure and you have a (theoretical) backup in the design
3. You have a backup - Z2 if fine, if you are feeling paranoid use Z3
4. Its always worth having a cold spare around. I don't like hot spares as they spin all the time accumulating wear for no purpose
5. Yup - there are scripts that will automate such tasks: https://github.com/Spearfoot/FreeNAS-scripts
6. Generally not. If however you split your data up by dataset - so videos on one dataset - you could use a larger record size. I doubt you will notice a significant difference though

teapot9

Cadet
Thank you for your answers, that was really helpful!

Some more questions:

7. Is it ok to have some of the drives bought used? Or should I prefer new ones?

8. Should drives be tested before use? If so, how should they be tested?
I was thinking of running a long smart selftest, or running a write/verify with badblocks (which will probably be quite long).
I did find this resource regarding testing.

NugentS

MVP
OK
7. That's entirely up to you and you appetite for risk. Many do use 2nd hand discs. But if you do then test them well AND have a backup AND be prepared for early / more frequent failures (RAIDZ2 or Z3)
8. I use badblocks to test both new and secondhand disks