Build #3 - PSU Cables & SSD's, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvassar

Guru
I'm stalled waiting on 16Gb of ECC memory to arrive. But I've started cabling up the Supermicro X9SCL in the HAF 912. I've discovered a minor flaw in my plan. The HAF 912 is one of those tower cases that put the PSU at the bottom. The X9SCL mounted in a tower has the 24-pin power header all the way at the top. My PSU's 24-pin harness is too short. I'm looking at extension harnesses as a temp fix, but worry about the reliability & voltage drop. If anyone has any precautionary tales, horror stories, etc... Please speak up!

While searching for local availability, I found Fry's has the little 60Gb Patriot Flare SSD I use as a boot device on sale for $18.99. So it looks like I'm getting a log device. :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
My PSU's 24-pin harness is too short. I'm looking at extension harnesses as a temp fix, but worry about the reliability & voltage drop. If anyone has any precautionary tales, horror stories, etc... Please speak up!
I solved that problem once, or twice, using some bulk wire, shrink tubing and a soldering iron... I may be all wrong on this, and I will take my lumps if someone wants to correct me, but the amount of current pulled by that system board should not cause a problem with the wire unless you went much longer than the distance needed inside even that case.

rvassar

Guru
I solved that problem once, or twice, using some bulk wire, shrink tubing and a soldering iron... I may be all wrong on this, and I will take my lumps if someone wants to correct me, but the amount of current pulled by that system board should not cause a problem with the wire unless you went much longer than the distance needed inside even that case.

I actually seriously considered that. Most of the current is going to come off the 12v EPS rail, and get switched down to 1.5v & 1.35v, etc for local use. But the 24 pin connector carries 5 x 3.3v lines, pins 7,8,19-21. I have absolutely no clue how much current a modern motherboard pulls off the PSU 3.3v supply. So I swagged a guess of 10 amps, and added 24 inches of 18 awg, and plugged it all into a voltage drop calculator, and got 0.26v lost, or 7.7%. Inside 10%, but... The PSU's spec claims it can produce 25 amps @ 3.3v! 24 inches of 18 awg produces 0.64 volts lost, or almost 20%, going up to 14 awg gets it back to 0.25 volts.

Given the variables, I figured I'd probably spend as much on the heat shrink tubing & wire as I did on the $7 RaidMax 9.8 inch extender. Flip side, I'll now have extra pin connections, which have their own voltage drops, and reliability problems.

In case anyone wants it:
https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Given the variables, I figured I'd probably spend as much on the heat shrink tubing & wire as I did on the $7 RaidMax 9.8 inch extender. Flip side, I'll now have extra pin connections, which have their own voltage drops, and reliability problems.
I looked at the option of building the extensions and buying them, but the thing that made the decision for me was the waiting. I used the thicker wire, but once upon a time, I did that kind of work and had all the wire, solder and heat-shrink tubing already on hand. I was able to do the work myself on the same day I decided I wanted to do it and didn't need to wait for anything to be delivered.

rvassar

Guru
I looked at the option of building the extensions and buying them, but the thing that made the decision for me was the waiting. I used the thicker wire, but once upon a time, I did that kind of work and had all the wire, solder and heat-shrink tubing already on hand. I was able to do the work myself on the same day I decided I wanted to do it and didn't need to wait for anything to be delivered.

That was the kicker... No waiting. I have most of the stuff in a box somewhere, but I don't have the larger wire handy. I want to get back to burning in the other components, and I work 1 mile away from Fry's. (Which presents all kinds of impulse control challenges!)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
and I work 1 mile away from Fry's. (Which presents all kinds of impulse control challenges!)
LOL.
I guess that it's a good thing we have no shops like that near me.
I would buy too much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.