Broke my dataset while upgrading from FreeNAS to TrueNAS-12.0-U4.1

Reuel

Cadet
RAID-Z with 6 x 2 TB WD 2.5" drives: I did the upgrade, but then I could no longer access my share through the network. I switched back to FreeNAS and it worked again. I went to TrueNAS again and started messing with permissions and such. I am not sure what I changed that created my current problem, but the dataset disappeared, although the pool is still there after import. I can go to Windows SMB share and see the stuff in my dataset and share it. I can go to my PC and see the shared folders. When I try to open them, nothing happens at all.

Now I know why I could not get it to work in the first place. I had it set for the root user, and TrueNAS does not allow shares under the root user. I added "reuel" as a new user, so if I could get the dataset to show up under Pool, I am sure I can get it to work. Is it possible for me to recover my dataset? It still shows a huge chunk of the drive array as having data.

Here, you see Fred with iocage, which was added for a plugin. The missing dataset is clearly quite big, as you can see that 7.85 TiB is used, while only 1.62 TiB is in iocage. Note that I have a second pool, which has enough empty space to hold the lost data if there is any possible way to move it in TrueNAS. It is on a second array of 6 x 2 TB hard drives. The plan is to clean the first array after copying everything to the second array...

1627673266125.png

I can share the folders in my dataset, except I cannot actually see what is in them.

1627673369728.png

I am a bit of a newbie, and have not delved deeply into the shell, so please be detailed and patient. I am a fast learner, though.

Thanks!

Id look via the command line and see if the data is there. In the GUI open a terminal from left menu bottom and type cd/mnt and then do ll (two lower case L's, same as ls -l) see if your "missing" dataset is there.

Is the data you are trying to access in Fred? Or you expect it to be in a different tank altogether?

Reuel

Cadet
I am trying to access Fred. From the shell, I can see my "missing" dataset. I can browse around and see directory structure and files. I'm guessing this is a good sign.

Reuel

Cadet
Update: I'm using rsync to copy those files to my second pool and dataset. Once it is done copying, I can adjust ownership on those files and make them accessible to my network. I'm thinking I can call this solved! Thanks!