Broadcom 9305-24i

bigjme

Dabbler
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been posted a few times but i'm having a little trouble figuring out if this is going to work properly or not
My assumption based on research is yes, but my paranoia says "check" so please try not to roast me too badly :)

I currently have an old adaptec 7805H in my truenas core build and am preparing to move to scale over the coming months and expand my storage
As my server is full but in drive capacity and pci lanes, i am looking to replace the adaptec with a Broadcom 9305-24i as from looking around i know their recommended alongside the 9200 models

My concern is raised due to this being the 24i. I have this page bookmarked for the firmware should it be needed when I buy the unit, i'm buying new so i'm hoping it might come with the latest firmware already but i doubt it

So my question is, have many of you had good luck using the 24i in scale and if so, do you know if the drivers in the bookmarked page above are working as there are mentions of it not supporting the 24i?

I know there is a post on there from a few days ago linking to the driver from broadcom as well but again, that just mentions the 16i in the download but i may have missed something

Sorry if its a daft question, i've jumped through many storage systems from unraid, to moosefs clusters, to truenas, and am only just realising how complicated the controller side of things is now I need more space

Regards,
Jamie

------- Edit ------
So, I just wanted to post a quick update here as since posting this, stock for these cards seems to have dried up everywhere. I'm holding out to try and get one of these still for now since they do seem to be a good choice for the most part

My follow on however is if these are potentially not going to be available now as they seem to be going end of life, what else are people recommending for a 24 port single card? I know most will suggest a second card, or ideally 3 8i cards but I really am limited to a single card in this server as it will be moving over to me strx40 board which I can not replace anymore and all pci-e slots are full in this system

I had considered going for a 9500-16i and losing 8 of my 24 drive bays but I really don't want to go down this route if possible and with the cards being so new, their likely to not be hugely tested still

Last edited:

samarium

Contributor
SAS Expanders are an option too, plenty of 24 disk JBODs have a sas expander backplane, so only need 2x 8087/8088 or equivalent in 8643/8644 IIRC connectors to support all those disks. Never used one myself, but also know you can also get them in a PCIe form factor to be used internally in a case. They don't use PCI lanes, just power, so alternate internal mounting/power may be an option too. I really know very little about these, but at least you have a direction to search.

Last edited: