Brand new RAIDZ2 array reported "degraded"

RaidPirate

Dabbler
I finished building / setting up my Freenas system this morning. I just wrote a couple of gigabytes of media files to the raid array and a notification has appeared in the FreeNAS GUI stating that the array is in a degraded state.

If I navigate to Storage/Pools/Pool Status this is what is shown:

1601563712578.png

If I understand correctly, 2 of the 6 drives have data written to them, and both of those drives have been marked as faulted.

What does this mean?

Before setting up this NAS I ran SMART tests from a Debian Live USB on all drives an no errors were reported, except for mechanical start errors. The same number were recorded for each drive, so I came to the conclusion that they were inside an array of a workstation PC / server, and that system was forced to power off / didn't post in BIOS or something. Perhaps this conclusion is wrong?

The history of these drives is that I bought them off eBay as a set. The seller said they were removed from a computer/some computers as part of an upgrade from mechanical to SSD storage. They claimed they were brand new. They were shipped to me in cardboard hard drive protectors inside a larger box, and I had no reason to suspect any damage from shipping.

Below is a screenshot of the SMART test for one of the drives. The others are similar.

1601564158317.png

Evertb1

Guru
From your post I concluded that at this stage loss of the pool would not be a hardship. I hope so anyway. Try to indentify the disks that are faulted and replace their cables to be sure the cables are not the cause. Then excute the burning in procedure that is described here. As they are fairly new disks, burning them in should be a prudent thing to do. Only then, when everyting worked out OK, trust them with your data. With 2 faulted disks in a RAIDZ2 pool the next failure will be fatal for your data.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If I understand correctly, 2 of the 6 drives have data written to them, and both of those drives have been marked as faulted.
Not quite. They showed 1768 and 2954 write errors before they were marked as faulted. In a RAIDZn configuration all the drives get written to. One more drive failing means your pool is toast, that much is true.