Adding Drives & Migrating an Existing RaidZ2 Array

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinu

Dabbler
Hey all. I've searched around for an answer to this question but I'm not sure if anything new has been implemented in recent builds. I'm looking to create a RaidZ2 array but I won't be able to buy all the drives I'd like in the array all at once. In the most recent FreeNAS builds, is it possible to add more drives to an existing array? If not, and I'd have to re-create the array, is there a way to do this without losing all of my data? Or am I forced to buy all 12 drives at once?

Also, how difficult is it to migrate a zaid array from one machine to another? Right now I have FreeNAS set up in a temporary machine with desktop parts, but I fully intend to build a machine with server grade components over the next year. If I were to create the array on the old machine, how easy will it be to add the drives to the new one and rebuild the array without losing anything? Thanks for any advice given. :)

SmallGuy

Guru
This has been discuss to death also :P.
Read (or reread) the stickies, documentation, and search around the forum. You will find a lot of useful informations.
Key words are: pool, vdev, stripe, export, import...
Edit: welcome to the forum ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.