Brainstroming for a solution

Kosta

Contributor
Hello,
I am looking for some recommendations for a concept around my infrastructure, involving TrueNAS.
Up until couple of months ago, I had only one NAS, a single Synology. Then I built a new server, which also has a TrueNAS VM running (using ESXi and vCenter). This server hosts an array of 10 disks in ZFS which TrueNAS utilizes. After a test-run of couple of months, I see things are pretty calm, and I would like to go ahead with a following system:
Synology is only used for backups, and those are being made with Veeam B&R.
Data is on the ZFS array of the TrueNAS.

However, I am a bit unsure which way to go:

One way would be installing and maintaining a file server, most likely a Windows Server and binding iSCSI targets to the TrueNAS using ESXi datastore(s). TrueNAS would act as a storage-device, meaning system drive of the file-server would remain on the most performing NVME in the hardware server, while a secondary disk (or disks) would be connected as an iSCSI target through vCenter.
The downside of this solution as I see it, I am losing the flexibility of using both NFS and SMB sharing, something my Linux servers, like my docker-host certainly like. There is a lot revolving around a Jellyfin-Server and some other Docker containers, which communicate currently via NFS.
If I were to change to Windows, all these shares would most likely have to become SMB.
A big plus also is an ability to back up every windows server, including iSCSI storage, with the power of B&R and vCenter integration.

The other way would be to leave TrueNAS as a true file storage. Use SMB where needed and NFS where needed. I would then have to join the NAS to the domain, use AD Groups and Users for access.
But then, how do I efficiently backup stuff from the TrueNAS to the Synology? I guess Veeam could access TrueNAS with NFS, then transfer files into backup repository on the Synology. Just, how effective is that, doesn't seem really? Not sure that I would want to have TrueNAS mount Synology share and copy data there, there are many concerns, alone retention and such.

And finally, Nextcloud also comes into play, Nextcloud will have both access to the photos and will be doing an iPhone-Sync in a separate folder on the Nextcloud. Which will reside on TrueNAS...

Any opinions are welcome.

Thank you
Kosta