Boots but won't fully load dashboard or import pools.

ryan0413

Cadet
I have an offsite TrueNAS Scale server that recently started causing issues for me. Everything boots fine for me (other than this issue but I know that will be fixed in a new release). However, when I log into the dashboard I notice that it is not fully loading and my pools are not importing and stuck on 80%. I also see a warning for the reporting database. Obviously, if the pool isn't imported I am unable to replicate snapshots from my main server. I have tried a clean install and restoring the configuration file but still seeing the same issue. My hardware is listed below. Anyone seeing this as well or know how to get it fixed?
  • Supermicro X10SRL-f motherboard
  • Intel Xeon E5-2640v4
  • 64GB ECC memory
  • 2x 500GB Sandisk SSD in a mirrored boot pool
  • LSI 9201 HBA
  • 6x Ironwolf 4TB drives (RAIDZ6)
  • 8TB and 10TB stripped (for non-critical data)

Screenshot 2023-08-13 183337.png
Screenshot 2023-08-13 183355.png
Screenshot 2023-08-13 183420.png

artlessknave

Wizard
I dont see anything glaringly wrong or risky in your build, so I would say there is something wrong with your pool preventing it from importing. this is (extremely likely) not a problem with truenas.

you need to sort that out. the webUI doesn't really show lots of information for nitty griity things like pool issues.

zpool status -v in proper code tag may show pertinent info, as well as /var/log/messages (or you can enable the footer for the webui in, i think, advanced settings).

if you have a backup of this data, it can potentially be easier to blow it away, test the disks to find out what is wrong, and then reconstruct it in a more stable state.

if you do not have a backup, stop mucking about with it as that WILL make it worse.

Last edited:

ryan0413

Cadet
I dont see anything glaringly wrong or risk in your build, so I would say there is something wrong with your pool preventing it from importing. this is (extremely likely) not a problem with truenas.

you need to sort that out. the webUI doesn't really show lots of information for nitty griity things like pool issues.

zpool status -v in proper code tag may show pertinent info, as well as /var/log/messages (or you can enable the footer for the webui in, i think, advanced settings).

if you have a backup of this data, it can potentially be easier to blow it away, test the disk to find out what is wrong, and then reconstruct it in a more stable state.

if you do not have a backup, stop mucking about with it as that WILL make it worse.
Thanks for the reply. I think I will just plan to rebuild it. I was hoping to avoid that as it is offsite and I have terabytes and terabytes of data to copy over (but I guess that's better than not have a backup server at all). I did run zpool status -v but it just hangs on me.

Screenshot 2023-08-14 085411.png

artlessknave

Wizard
what you really need to see is what it's doing on boot. you should be able to watch it start up via ipmi and potentially see what steps it's stopping it