Boot Pool issues. Need help

Ianm_ozzy

Dabbler
Hi all.
I have a pool with VMs - a single 240GB SSD.
I have another as so it is mirrored and everything has redundancy.

That means no more sata ports available.
I have an old sata card - a 32 bit silicon image for extra (slow) ports but it would freeze the system so useless.

My other ports are nearly full with network cards and the last free one I am looking to use an NVMe adapter for a drive as L2 arc at some point. I am keeping that one free for now.

It is a micro ATX machine.
Due to physical constraints I can only use a micro ATX for my NAS. This means limited erxpansion and sata ports. Even when I upgrade to another cpu/motherboard/memory setup it will still likely be the case.

The boot pool is 2 x16GB usb drives. I have had no issues with them.
I know sata SSDs are recommended but not an option.

The most expedient & inexpensive way to ensure data integrity is to buy 1 or 2 more USB drives, to add to the boot pool.

How exactly is this done? I cannot find the option.
I was looking to add another to the boot pool and the fourth as a spare.

Just to reiterate - using sata as boot drives is not practical and likely will never will be.

I intend to upgrade t truenas at some point but need to get this sorted out first.

Useful info is appreciated.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
way to ensure data integrity
Your pool data isn't at risk if the boot pool dies, just make a config backup every time you change something in your config.

Just to reiterate - using sata as boot drives is not practical and likely will never will be.
SATA to USB adapters make the use of SSDs for boot via USB a good option. A single SSD is probably sufficient.

Ianm_ozzy

Dabbler
Your pool data isn't at risk if the boot pool dies, just make a config backup every time you change something in your config.

SATA to USB adapters make the use of SSDs for boot via USB a good option. A single SSD is probably sufficient.

I looked into that. Due to the situation with the ;rona' it is not so practical to get them right now.
Thanks for replies though.

sretalla