3 drives best setup -phantom?

LaurenceL

Cadet
Hi. I have 3 drives connected to sata ports and my boot up ssd connected to sas port.
when I go to create a pool I only see options stripe,mirror and raids not raidz2, is this correct?
I may have another drive coming but not sure where I’m going to plug it in yet. I have seen some discussion about creating a phantom drive until it arrives. How does that work?
if I decide to stick with 3 drives what is my best option? 2 drives striped and use the third to create a back up everyday?
my System is a prehistoric dell precision 690 but it was cheap and enough to get me started.
this leads on to another question about booting up, my boot up ssd is plugged into a sas port so I have to press f12 and select it as the boot disk every time I turn it on. What are my options? May be a pci-e card with more sata connectors?
Tia

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
3 drives
raidz2, is this correct?
I had understood that the minimum drive count for a RAIDZ2 VDEV was 4.

If you want 1 data disk and 2 "parity" disks, use a 3-way mirror.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I had understood that the minimum drive count for a RAIDZ2 VDEV was 4.
That's correct. For any form of parity RAID, it's a minimum of two disks plus parity (so three for RAIDZ1, four for RAIDZ2, five for RAIDZ3).

sretalla