Boot device failed, replacement was DOA, boot pool status is "replacing" and new device won't attach

Ben Waywood

Cadet
I had 2 16GB USB drives as a mirrored boot environment, one boot device failed, when I attached it to the environment it worked for a few hours then went back to degraded so I assumed it was DOA, since then the boot pool status is "replacing" and the new device won't attach

Boot Pool Status
freenas-boot000DEGRADED
replacing000DEGRADED
/dev/da0p2000ONLINE
/dev/da0p2000UNAVAIL

Error after attach attempt
[EFAULT] concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback: """ Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 132, in extend i['target'].attach(newvdev) File "libzfs.pyx", line 376, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__ File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 132, in extend i['target'].attach(newvdev) File "libzfs.pyx", line 1289, in libzfs.ZFSVdev.attach libzfs.ZFSException: Can attach disks to mirrors and stripes only During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 175, in _process_worker r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 131, in main_worker res = loop.run_until_complete(coro) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/base_events.py", line 468, in run_until_complete return future.result() File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 91, in _run return await self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, params=args, job=job) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 84, in _call return methodobj(*params) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 84, in _call return methodobj(*params) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 668, in nf return f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 135, in extend raise CallError(str(e), e.code) middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EUNKNOWN] Can attach disks to mirrors and stripes only """ The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 332, in run await self.future File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 358, in __run_body rv = await self.middleware._call_worker(self.method_name, *self.args, job={'id': self.id}) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1062, in _call_worker return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 996, in run_in_proc return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 972, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs)) middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EUNKNOWN] Can attach disks to mirrors and stripes only

CLOSE

My system
OS Version:
FreeNAS-11.2-U4.1
(Build Date: May 10, 2019 21:33)
Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 cores)
Memory:
32 GiB

Ben Waywood

Cadet
D

dlavigne

Does a fresh install to a new boot device resolve the issue? If so, you can restore your config.

Ben Waywood

Cadet
Does a fresh install to a new boot device resolve the issue? If so, you can restore your config.
I am going to do that next. Can you confirm that if I go to System > General > Save Config then to a clean install and go to System > General > Upload Config it will restore everything including plugins, jails, VM's? Or is there another step to ensure everything restores correctly?

sretalla