Bonjour on FreeNAS 8.3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spelter

Cadet
Hi,

I have setup and am successfully running FreeNAS 8.3.1 x86 r2. I am trying to enable bonjour and everything I read anywhere tells me there is an option in the advanced systems config, but it isn't there for me.

Any advice?

Cheers,
Spelter

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Define this "everything I read anywhere"? Because I searched the FreeNAS manual for "bonjour" and I got a whole zero hits. I'm not sure I ever remember seeing bonjour in the GUI.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Sounds to me like someone was reading about OLD FreeNAS, aka FreeNAS 0.7.x, aka NAS4FREE

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's the old FreeNAS. Notice that those screenshots look nothing close to the current webpages. What you need to look at is NAS4Free(it is the successor to that version of FreeNAS). I'm not sure if they still support Firefly at all, so you may have to do more homework first.

Spelter

Cadet
So perhaps I am asking this question incorrectly!

I went to http://www.freenas.org/ (this is the forum for that product right?), installed the latest version linked too from that site FreeNAS 8.3.1 release P2 x64, and then followed the documentation to install Firefly.

On the http://www.freenas.org/ website it states Firefly is the way to setup iTunes streaming (http://www.freenas.org/for-home.html). I have installed Firefly and activated it in the Control Services > Plugins section. But I can't see by Firefly/freeNas appearing in my iTunes as a library. On looking at the firefly web GUI I see that Bonjour is marked as disabled but there is no method to enable it I can see.

From the above article it would suggest that Bonjour is handled through freeNAS itself but I can't find any option there to make that happen. I believe Bonjour needs to be running in order for iTunes to find the library.

Are there any suggestions on how to resolve?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You're confused. Allow me to explain.

FreeNAS 0.7 was written and maintained by different developers. There was a shakeup within the FreeNAS project and the FreeNAS brand name was sold to iXsystems. iXsystems then wiped the slate clean and started over from scratch. All FreeNAS versions that are 8.x or newer are the "new" OS. Anyways, the old developers couldn't use the FreeNAS name since they sold it, so they changed their name to NAS4Free.

NAS4Free is technically the updated version of the old FreeNAS code your guide references. The version of FreeNAS that is used and supported on this forum is a complete rewrite of the code from scratch with different developers and different management. There is nothing in common between the old FreeNAS and the new FreeNAS aside from the name and that they are both FreeBSD based.

If you want to use that guide, you should go over to the NAS4Free website and download and use their OS(assuming the Firefly options are still in their OS). If you want to continue using the OS you have installed, you will need to setup a jail and use plugins(assuming there are plugins for what you want to do).

This is why guides can't always be relied on 100% and you should verify the guide is still valid. My guess is that the guide you have won't be 100% correct with NAS4Free(The old FreeNAS versions are more than 2 years old, so that guide is quite dated), but there is almost certainly someone who has explained how to use Firefly(again, assuming Firefly exists in NAS4Free).

Hopefully this clears everything up.

Status
Not open for further replies.