Constant Hard Drive Access & Slow Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

I'm running FreeNas 8.3.1 on an HP Microserver and up until this morning have had no problems with it. It boots from an internal USB 4GB memory stick.

However, for some reason, I am now getting constant hard drive access and slow network performance of 2.7mbps.

Can anyone tell me how to check which process is accessing the hard drives and if I just need to leave the unit to finish? I have no special tasks setup and all drives / volumes are reporting as healthy.

Let me know if you have any idea or require any further information.

Cheers,

BigDaddyCainer.

gpsguy

Are you running a scrub? Try zpool status -v at the console and see if a scrub is running. It will kill your performance.

How much RAM do you have in your Microserver? And, how many drives / capacity do you have?

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. When I went back to the server about 10 minutes ago, the hard drive activity had stopped.

I know I don't have enough RAM in the server - I have 2GB and I have 4 x 3TB WD Red drives in a RAID 10 config which gives me 6TB (ish).

The unit is used to store music / movies and serves 3 x Apple TV's and I haven't had any performance issues (except the odd slow access to CIFS/SAMBA shares), but that's it.

I assume 8GB of mem will be enough?

If it does it again, I'll run the zpool command and check it. Is there any log which will let me know what it was up to?

Thanks again,

BigDaddyCainer

Status
Not open for further replies.