Board Recommendation for Xeon E-2146G and 32G ECC

o-nas

Cadet
Current Board: Gigabyte C246-WU4
CPU: Xeon E-2146G
Memory: Crucial CT32G4RFD4266 (2 32G sticks for now)
Boot: Samsung 980 Pro, 500G
Main Pool: Z1 (3x WDC WD181KRYZ-01AGBB0)

Howdy, all, have been having issues with the memory; it won't post. Am thinking I need a different board. The memory is not actually on Gigabyte's server memory support list - in fact, no 32G stick is, though it is supposedly ECC compatible. Am ultimately wanting 128G memory, but had started with the two 32G sticks. Should have checked the memory list first!

All equipment is new (well, a year or so, but unused. Got sidetracked building all this, so alas return is not an option for any of the parts). It posts (and Core is running) fine with some Samsung non-ECC memory, so don't think the board is bad. Neither memory stick will post, but don't suspect them either. Unfortunately, the only other ECC capable board available to me for testing only has 16G sticks, which won't help troubleshoot the 32G sticks I'd like to use.

Think it's just the board not liking the 32G ECC sticks ("C1" post error).

Did call Gigabyte to see if there was an updated memory list containing 32G ECC chips, and they suggested reaching out to the various vendors as there were "too many to keep up with". Ugh.

This is for home, not enterprise, but have already invested a bit and don't want to throw *too much* good money after bad.

Any suggestions for either a different board, or 32G ECC that will work with the current one? LGA-1151 for any new board as I don't want to have to purchase a new CPU as well. (Most of the ASUS ones people seem to like here only have two memory slots.)

FWIW, am on Core 13.0-U2 now and onboard graphics, but once all the home bits are uploaded am planning to switch to Scale and put in an Nvidia Titan XP I have laying around to make transcoding happier when Jellyfin gets installed. Debian says there are drivers that'll run Pascal cards...

DigitalMinimalist

Contributor
registered ECC RAM (like yours) is not working on C246 Mainboards...

DDR4 ECC UDIMM (unbuffered) will work, e.g. should work
Samsung DIMM 32GB, DDR4-3200, CL22, ECC - M391A4G43BB1-CWE