Big trouble with permission and transmisison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akhademik

Explorer
Before i ask for help here i checked several resources:

1. http://forums.freenas.org/threads/f...-set-up-example-for-dummies-visual-map.10163/
2. View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_pW-8Laro

But still no luck at all. Here is my problem. Recently when i follow those two links things go absolutely right. i can access the sharing folder, i can download torrent using transmission. After all i got 3 different folders for the same thing so i tried to remove 2 of them and there comes the problem.

I created two user A & Torrent . In my mind i want A have full access to everything in the whole system (that's gonna be me); and Torrent only have full access to Torrent (shared folder).

I created only A_Torrent (shared folder) but on network i found another two Torrent and Home. So i tried to remove Torrent and Home. The best i can do was to remove the Home folder, but there's still Torrent one. In the end i think i have to give it up cause i don't know where it come from; at that moment transmission still work, i still can access both Torrent and A_Torrent (different name but same dataset in FreeNAS). But today i still have the access for both folders but transmission denied to work. It's said Access Denied, i realize that transmission can still seeding for downloaded files but can't download cause they don't have the right to write it down.

i deleted every single user, group, everything and tried to start all over again with the above links. but still can't get transmission to work. now i'm really confused caused i tried everything i can but no miracle happend. i'm now asking for your help, please help me to make the system work like before, now i'm will ok with three folders, i won't ask for more. i actually don't know how the permission work in the system so i can't track down the broken segment...Help me please.

Akhademik

Explorer
P.S: I've already tried to restore the last working config file but transmission still denied to work !

Whattteva

Wizard
What are the permissions of Torrent, A_Torrent, Home, and whatever other folders you're using?
It's saying access denied, basically because the torrent user doesn't have access to whatever folder it is trying to write.

Here's a command that would give you useful information regarding permissions:
Code:
ls -l /path/to/the/folder

Post all the relevant output here.
Use this command if the output scrolls too fast:
Code:
ls -l /path/to/the/folder | more

Akhademik

Explorer
i created a share name A_Torrent; that's all. Don't know why it came up with Torrent and Home.

Permission for the download folder is UID: A, Group: Wheel

drwxr-xr-x 3 a wheel 3 Oct 2 22:20 .recycle
drwxr-xr-x 2 a wheel 4 Oct 1 01:59 Brazil DC 1985 mHD BluRa y x264-EPiK

Akhademik

Explorer
i finally make it works but not in the way i like it to..

i now created only one user: Torrent, Group: Torrent
Create a Volume: Torrent ; Permission: Owner, Group: All six ticked (torrent for ownver, group)
Create a Dataset: Download; Permission: Owner, Group: All six ticked (torrent for ownver, group)

Go to Jail -> Bit1 and change permision to Owner, Group: All six ticked (torrent for ownver, group)
CIF plugin: change guest user to Torrent.

After that check transmission still giving access denied so i go to shell and do this one:
chown torrent:transmission /usr/download

after that it works. but back at these old time. i created only A_Torrent but i got 2 more Torrent and Home, both lead to the same folder with Torrent. I don't know why, is that home was created because i choose the home folder for torrent user?

Akhademik

Explorer
[root@freenas ~]# jexec 1 tcsh
root@bit_1:/ # ls -l /usr/downloads/
total 273
drwxr-xr-x 3 akhademik wheel 3 Oct 2 22:20 .recycle
drwxr-xr-x 2 akhademik wheel 4 Oct 1 01:59 Brazil DC 1985 mHD BluRay x264-EPiK
drwxr-xr-x 3 akhademik wheel 5 Oct 1 04:55 Chugyeogja.2008.720p.BluRay.DD5.1.x264-EbP
drwxr-xr-x 4 akhademik wheel 5 Sep 29 21:39 Fatal Move 2008 Blu-ray 1080p AVC DTS-HD MA 5.1-114562175@CHDBits
drwxr-xr-x 2 transmission transmission 5 Oct 3 09:39 Four.Weddings.and.a.Funeral.1994.720p.BluRay.x264-EbP
drwxr-xr-x 2 akhademik wheel 6 Oct 1 01:17 Hanoi,Hanoi.2006.m-HD.AC3.x264-EPiK
drwxr-xr-x 2 akhademik wheel 5 Sep 30 15:42 Lovers.of.6.Years.2008.BluRay.720p.DTS.x264-CHD
drwxr-xr-x 2 akhademik wheel 4 Sep 30 12:32 Man.Of.Tai.Chi.2013.1080p.WEB-DL.H264-PublicHD
drwxr-xr-x 8 akhademik wheel 8 Sep 30 19:50 Mr.Vampire Comleted (1985-1990)
drwxr-xr-x 2 akhademik wheel 4 Sep 30 04:40 Music and Lyrics 2007 BluRay Remux 1080p VC1 DD 5.1-HoangKien
drwxr-xr-x 2 akhademik wheel 3 Sep 30 18:36 My.Left.Foot.1989.1080p.BluRay.x264-HD4U [PublicHD]
drwxr-xr-x 3 akhademik wheel 4 Sep 30 11:12 PROFESSIONALS 1966
drwx------ 3 transmission transmission 3 Oct 3 15:37 PROFESSIONALS 1966__V5CxiN
drwxr-xr-x 2 transmission transmission 4 Oct 3 17:49 Pacific.Rim.2013.1080p.WEB-DL.H264-PublicHD
drwxr-xr-x 2 transmission transmission 5 Oct 4 11:54 The Chaser 2008 mHD BluRay x264-EPiK
drwxr-xr-x 2 akhademik wheel 4 Sep 30 16:32 The Past (2013) 1080p BluRay x264
drwxr-xr-x 2 akhademik wheel 4 Sep 27 21:29 The.Purge.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS
root@bit_1:/ #
That's weird caused i chose torrent user is the owner of this folder? How come it ends up with akhademik? and the group also torrent now it's wheel. No wonder why i can download torrent but can't delete the downloaded folders. How to fix this guys?

Whattteva

Wizard
It's probably because of the uid mask set in the transmission configuration.
It regulates the permissions are when new files are created.

Whattteva

Wizard
Is /usr/downloads a dataset or just a normal directory created in the jail?

Akhademik

Explorer
When you looked back at the report you will see there're 2 different credential for the same process and folder

drwxr-xr-x 2 transmission transmission 5 Oct 4 11:54 The Chaser 2008 mHD BluRay x264-EPiK
drwxr-xr-x 2 akhademik wheel 4 Sep 30 16:32 The Past (2013) 1080p BluRay x264

that confused me.

Whattteva

Wizard
Most likely because sometime down the line you changed it yourself either through the shell or the FreeNAS GUI on /mnt/torrent/downloads.
From my experience, transmission by default will create things with transmission user and group.

I mostly solve the transmission permissions issues by just making the directory world-writable.
I don't really have any problems with others modifying it since the CIFS share I use to modify things is for a parent directory above it, which do not allow access for others.

Akhademik

Explorer
so what if i'll delete it all and start all over again with new user, new group, new share, new cif. where should i start? may be you can help me by show me the way you do for your configuration and let see if it work. do we have any handbook or manual about user, group and permisison? i would love to learn about it

Whattteva

Wizard
I don't think you need to do that to get my setup.
All I did for mine was just this command:
Code:
chmod 777 /path/of/download/folder

As it turns out, there is a handbook for you to learn user permissions right here.

Akhademik

Explorer
i did that that the reason why transmission can download file and work perfectly. but now transmission can download the files, i can created and delete a folder in /mnt/torrent/downloads/ but i can't do the same for downloaded folder.

Whattteva

Wizard
Oh yeah, that's because of the umask setting in the settings.json file.
If you changed it to 0 from the default setting (probably 18), it should work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.