Better virtual controller for True/FreeNAS Boot drive

Alex_K

Explorer
(old) Guides on virtualizing FreeNAS say we should use LSI Logic Parallel, no explanation.
Checked up 5 virtualized FreeNAS instances I maintain, and on all of them I used LSI Logic Parallel. I _do not remember why_. Its possible just followed guides.

But just now as I tentatively decided to give 12* another look, and maybe LSI Logic SAS is now better, somehow?

It does not install onto Paravirtual, and Bus Logic is "not recommended for that OS", leaving two equal options, at the 1st glance.

LSI Logic Parallel
LSI Logic SAS

Or not equal?

I assume Free/TrueNAS may try to do _things_ with LSI Logic SAS assuming the SAS is real, like M1015, and VMware may frown at that. But that only intuitive speculation.

If someone with undersatning could elaborate, which is better for TrueNAS 12*, and possibly how different it goes for 13* and FreeNAS, and how, that would be appreciated.

Also if answer would be different between 6.0 and 7.0 ESXi.

Regards

Last edited:

sretalla