Best Windows Server Backup Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

w14219

Dabbler
I am considering using FreeNAS as a means to backup several Server 2008 and 2012 servers. However, can someone please provide their thoughts as to how I should do this? Reading the posts there are several different options, but would like to know if anything new has come up as an option..

Thank you

darkwarrior

Patron
Hi there,
IMO the most reliable backup solution in your scenario would be to make the backups with the native Windows feature "Windows server Backup".
During setup you can easily choose the full bare metal backup and write to a remote share hosted on Freenas (CIFS will be the better option btw).

This way you can easily restore a complete server from within the "Windows Recovery Environment", by pointing to the remote baremetal backup.

Like usually that would be something that you will need to try out to see if it fits your needs ;)

w14219

Dabbler
Thanks Darkwarrior. This was the solution I was going to post,but have been a bit busy trying to get the Replication Task working.

I was going to try implementing an iSCSI connection and do my backups directly on the NAS. I would then use the Replication Tack to push the data to another server. I can let you know how it works once I actually get it done.

I tried several other ideas and all of them either cost $$ or are not easy to do. The Replication Task is a good idea as it will only push the changes to the offsite server whereas the Rsync option will have to traverse the entire directory set when syncing.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Thanks Darkwarrior. This was the solution I was going to post,but have been a bit busy trying to get the Replication Task working.

I was going to try implementing an iSCSI connection and do my backups directly on the NAS. I would then use the Replication Tack to push the data to another server. I can let you know how it works once I actually get it done.

I tried several other ideas and all of them either cost $$ or are not easy to do. The Replication Task is a good idea as it will only push the changes to the offsite server whereas the Rsync option will have to traverse the entire directory set when syncing.

Iscsi is a bad idea for this.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Iscsi is a bad idea for this.
I'd go one step further and say that iSCSI is a horrible idea unless the use case absolutely demands iSCSI.

Replace iSCSI with any protocol that provides a logical block device instead of file sharing.

Mlovelace

Guru
I am considering using FreeNAS as a means to backup several Server 2008 and 2012 servers. However, can someone please provide their thoughts as to how I should do this? Reading the posts there are several different options, but would like to know if anything new has come up as an option..

Thank you
I use Veeam Endpoint for all physical Windows machines that need backup. https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

darkwarrior

Patron

Mlovelace

Guru
That is another good alternative.
OP will just need to take care of storing the backups somewhere ;)
The OP was wanting to use FreeNAS as a target for backing up several 2008 and 2012 servers. You would just setup SMB shares and have Veeam endpoint (installed on each server) back up to those network shares. Or am I missing your point?

darkwarrior

Patron
The OP was wanting to use FreeNAS as a target for backing up several 2008 and 2012 servers. You would just setup SMB shares and have Veeam endpoint (installed on each server) back up to those network shares. Or am I missing your point?

Of course the backup target will be FreeNAS ** insert fireworks here ** :D
And alos choosing between iSCSI and "simple" SMB shares

Edit: Clarity

Status
Not open for further replies.