Best Way to Replace the OS Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takaratiki

Cadet
I searched about on the forum and failed to find the answer I needed, so here we go.

The Transcend Industrial Compact Flash card that I run our school's FreeNAS (9.1.1) server off of has been corrupted. Following some traumatic power incidents, the server is dropping numerous "bad dir ino at offset" messages for /. They occur at three inode numbers, I am busy tracking down the exact files that they are corrupting, but at least one is a Django catalogue file. This does not inspire confidence.

I will be fscking the drive to see if anything can be done to repair the issue, but from what I've read there is slim chance of that. I will be ordering a new drive, installing 9.1.1 onto it, and uploading the config I have taken from the existing system.

My question is, is this the best way to replace a corrupted OS drive? Will the data currently on the ZFS shares be preserved and accessible post install? Is the config file enough to preserve continuity when the flash card is replaced?

Thank you for your help.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That is exactly the right way to replace a corrupted OS drive. ;)

All of your data will be preserved. It should boot right back up and continue along like nothing happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.