USB Boot drive damaged, how to read pool with replaced drive?

khit

Cadet
I have a FreeNAS 9.x build that has 4 drives in one pool and a USB flash drive for booting the OS. This USB flash drive was physically damaged and the backup flash drive is also corrupted. I was planning on a newer FreeNAS build before this, but is there any way I can read the data from the old pool using a newly built flash drive to rpelace the damaged one?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have a FreeNAS 9.x build that has 4 drives in one pool and a USB flash drive for booting the OS. This USB flash drive was physically damaged and the backup flash drive is also corrupted. I was planning on a newer FreeNAS build before this, but is there any way I can read the data from the old pool using a newly built flash drive to rpelace the damaged one?
Sure. Do you have a backup of your configuration database? If not, it is not the end of the world, it just means you will need to manually set some things up again.

khit

Cadet
Unfortunately i don't have a backup of anything from this particular box. Would I just need to build a new USB boot with the latest freenas?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Best to just use the same version of freenas so that you are sure it works correctly. All you do is boot the system and auto import the pool. It should show up in the drop down list.

If you want you can also try this with the newest version of freenas. Same process and if it doesn't work you can always go back to your original version.