best way to replace a pool?

tomerg

Dabbler
Hello,
I would like to replace a 2 disk mirror pool (harddisk to ssd). problem is i haven't got any more available extension slot so the only way to add a disk is by removing at list one of the old ones. the net is quite slow there so it would really be of great help if I could import disk or something. currently there is a cache disk there which I don't need. so maybe that could be of help?
thanks ahead.
edit:
cache disk is very small and also ssd are about half the size of the original disks

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
You want to replace both disks in the pool with SSDs? And the SSDs are each at least as large as the disks in the pool? If that's the case, the manual's instructions for replacing failing disks should do--offline one disk, remove it, replace it with a SSD, initiate replacement. When the resilvering is completed, repeat with the other one.

tomerg

Dabbler
You want to replace both disks in the pool with SSDs? And the SSDs are each at least as large as the disks in the pool? If that's the case, the manual's instructions for replacing failing disks should do--offline one disk, remove it, replace it with a SSD, initiate replacement. When the resilvering is completed, repeat with the other one.

Thank you,
yes, I would like to replace both disks. but the new disks are smaller (half the size). Does that change the answer?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Does that change the answer?
Very much so--it makes replacement impossible. In this case, you'd need to create a new pool and move the data over in some way (plenty of options here; I'd probably use ZFS replication).