best way to integrate ipfw rules to 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike tancsa

Cadet
Hi,
I am a new FreeNAS user and have been making good progress replacing a number of internal servers with a FreeNAS box. As part of setting up backups to my backup server from my FreeNAS server, I want to add a VLAN interface onto the FreeNAS box so I can send out zfs streams. For policy reasons, I dont want access from the backup server going to the FreeNAS box.
I noticed that FreeNAS has ipfw built in by default

# ipfw show
65535 325721 165393384 allow ip from any to any
#
and I can work with that just fine to add my inbound deny rules. However, I would like those rules automatically added at startup. What/where is the best place to put that in FreeNAS ?
9.3-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p5 #1 r275790+7b75f75: Tue Dec 30 09:13:52 PST 2014

zambanini

Patron
freenas is appliance system, no messing around with startup scripts.

however, you can run scripts from cron or create a jail which starts when freenas starts. the jail could run a script that does ssh to freenas .... anyway if you have to ask .. you should not do it.

mike tancsa

Cadet
Actually, I noticed under tasks, there is a section for init/shutdown scripts. I will add my network ACLs there.

Gonzalo

Patron
These are the steps you should follow to do it in a Jail:

1) Create the Jail (where IPFW is installed by default).
2) Inside the Jail, execute: echo firewall_enable="YES" >> /etc/rc.conf and echo firewall_type="/etc/ipfw_rules" >> /etc/rc.conf
3) Create the file /etc/ipfw_rules (you can change the filename or path) and add the rules you need.
4) Restart to see if all it's working as expected.

If you need it on the main system, make those changes on /conf/base/etc/rc.conf.

Last edited:

Gonzalo

Patron
Actually, I noticed under tasks, there is a section for init/shutdown scripts. I will add my network ACLs there.
As jgreco said, this is the correct answer, forget mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.