Best way send network traffic from my TrueNAS Scale machine to the internet without opening any ports?

Hey all, I've been working on this project for a while now, and was able to do what I asked in the title using a program called Fast Reverse Proxy and a Google Cloud VM, but that was on a standard Linux machine, and I only used it for hosting video game servers.

Now that I am using TrueNAS, I also want to expose services such as Plex and NextCloud for my friends and family to utilize, but the network I am on does not allow port forwarding.

I'm considering using Wireguard, with my TrueNAS machine as the client and Google Cloud VM as the server, but I'm having trouble finding complete information on how to set it up.

Any Ideas?

danb35

Hall of Famer
ZeroTier and Tailscale will both let you set up VPNs which your friends/family could also join (as you allow), and neither of them would require port forwarding. Another option would be a cloudflare tunnel--I see a couple of guides on that here, but they're for CORE, not SCALE. But there is a TrueCharts app for cloudflared, which is what you'd use to set up such a tunnel.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this before, but I also intend to use my system for hosting game servers, which I have found don't play very well with cloudflare's tunnel. Ideally I would like to avoid requiring everyone to download a VPN.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ideally I would like to avoid requiring everyone to download a VPN
Then you'll need to figure out how to forward ports. Or do as you suggest, set up a remote server with a VPN connection to your NAS (Wireguard, ZeroTier, Tailscale, any of them would likely do), and configure it to forward traffic from the Internet through the VPN. I kind of doubt you're going to find an end-to-end guide on this, though. And also need to figure out how to do this in such a way that security of your NAS isn't compromised.

So, would there be any extra tools I need to use if I want to route my traffic through Wireguard? For example, if I had a container for Minecraft running on the NAS, would Wireguard be able to forward traffic heading to the remote server to the container and vice versa?