Looking for the best way to deploy a LE cert to a TrueNAS behind a Reverse Proxy (Part 2)

GJSchaller

Contributor
A while back, I posted this thread: https://www.truenas.com/community/t...s-core-while-also-using-reverse-proxy.101475/

Things have changed since then, and I'm looking to find a new way to deploy a LE cert to my TrueNAS, but there's a different set up this time:

- TrueNAS has a Virtual Machine running Rocky Linux / Virtualmin
- The Virtualmin VM is in my DMZ, and exposed to the Internet
- DNS for my domain (aiskon.net) is hosted by the Virtualmin VM
- TrueNAS UI (truenas.aiskon.net) is behind a Reverse Proxy on the Virtualmin VM
- The Virtualmin VM can create and renew LE certs without an issue, and I do have a cert for *.aiskon.net on the VM

What I am looking for at this point is a way to get a LE cert onto the TrueNAS and deploy it for various services (SSH, FTP, the UI for internal use, etc.). I don't seem to be able to run acme.sh from the TrueNAS itself and obtain a cert, likely because it's behind a reverse proxy. In the past, DNS was hosted by Namecheap, but now I'm hosting it locally on the VM.

What are my options to obtain a cert on the TrueNAS directly and deploy it, or copy the Wildcard cert from the VM and deploy it to the NAS?

Thank you for the guidance!

danb35

Hall of Famer

GJSchaller

Contributor
Thank you - I did get it working, I'll document the full way to get the cert out of the VM and into / onto the TrueNAS later this week.

GJSchaller

Contributor
OK, so here's the basic process:

1) On the TrueNAS, set up a folder as an NFS Share
2) In the Linux VM, mount the NFS Share as a folder
3) Copy the certs from their home in the VM to the folder in the VM that is mounted to the NAS
4) On the NAS, run deploy-freenas.py, with the config set to point to the copies of the certs

Examples:
Dataset on NAS: /mnt/data/backups/websites (I had this already so the VM could back up to a storage area outside of itself, the VM is a Web Server)
Folder in VM: /mnt/backups (mounted to the folder above via NFS)
Under /mnt/backups, make a folder called "certs"
On the TrueNAS, this folder is visible as /mnt/data/backups/websites/certs
Anything copied into /mnt/backups/certs in the VM is visible on the NAS in /mnt/data/backups/websites/certs

Now, the remaining challenge I have is to schedule a cron job that will run when the cert is renewed, and only when it's renewed. I'll have two scripts - one the VM that copies the cert into the "certs" folder, and another on the NAS that will (hopefully) check if the certs have changed, and then run deploy-freenas.py if they have.

Can anyone offer guidance on how to script the following logic?

"If the following file has changed in the past day, run deploy-freenas.py"

I figure I can run it daily, and it'll only deploy the certs when the cert renews.

danb35

Hall of Famer
1) On the TrueNAS, set up a folder as an NFS Share
2) In the Linux VM, mount the NFS Share as a folder
Why? There's no reason that the certs need to be visible both on the NAS and on the system on which you're running deploy-freenas.py; they only need to be available on the latter, as the script will upload them to the NAS using its API.
"If the following file has changed in the past day, run deploy-freenas.py"
Don't do this. Instead, call deploy-freenas.py using your ACME client on a successful renewal. If you're using acme.sh, you'd say --reloadcmd /path/to/deploy-freenas.py; with certbot, it'd be --post-hook /path/to/deploy-freenas.py.

GJSchaller

Contributor
Why? There's no reason that the certs need to be visible both on the NAS and on the system on which you're running deploy-freenas.py; they only need to be available on the latter, as the script will upload them to the NAS using its API.
The certs are generated within the VM, which is a webserver - it's in my DMZ, and it's generating a cert for *.aiskon.net already. Using the existing cert saves me the trouble of trying to generate a new one on the NAS, which is not exposed to the internet, and the DNS is hosted locally by the VM. I can't generate the certs from the NAS easily, it's easier to copy them from the VM to the NAS.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If the machine that has the cert can access the NAS via HTTP/HTTPS, there's no need to copy the cert anywhere--just run deploy-freenas on that machine, which will handle sending the cert data where it needs to go.

GJSchaller

Contributor
OH! That makes much more sense now, thank you!

I'll have to check and see if there's a way to post-hook deploy-freenas.py from within Virtualmin, but that's one for the Virtualmin support forum.