Best practices/setup so pool doesn't fill up 100%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3ki

Contributor
I heard that after 80% zpool starts acting wonky and at 100% you're screwed.

What is a dumb proof way of setting up pool so in case it does get full (logs etc..) you're still ok to recover or delete files.

Ex. Can I set a quota in freenas UI or something?

Thanks.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I heard that after 80% zpool starts acting wonky and at 100% you're screwed.

correct. except I would modify the "you're screwed" part to about 90-95% capacity.

What is a dumb proof way of setting up pool so in case it does get full (logs etc..) you're still ok to recover or delete files.

Ex. Can I set a quota in freenas UI or something?

I mean most people on here I would say just keep an eye on things through the GUI. It is true though you can set quotas and that would be a good idea (they can be set at the dataset level) but then that wouldn't take into account snapshots if you have them turned on.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You will get an email at 80 and 90 percent full. You can create a dataset with a reservation and never use it. Also if it fills up to 100% you just need to free up some space. Usually deleting things doesn't work but you can echo '' > filename this will truncate that file and give you space back.

I try to keep my system around 50% full and I just add more drives when I get close to that amount.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

m3ki

Contributor
I am at about 50% out of 100TB.
I do use snapshots.

I was hoping for something very elegant. Like some setting in the ZFS.

I don't like the idea of some strange dataset that's never used, also that dataset is useless if I use snapshots?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I think when you configure a reservation it makes it so you always have that much space on disk including snapshots.

m3ki

Contributor
I think when you configure a reservation it makes it so you always have that much space on disk including snapshots.

nojohnny101 mentioned that it doesn't is it true?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I usually set the Volume/Pool "Quota For This DataSet And All Children". Easy way is to take the "Available Space" and subtract 20%, then set it under the "Advanced" Options.

Example of a 5.4 TiB Volume (2 x 3TB Mirrors):
upload_2016-9-7_14-41-32.png

Some info per the Manual (Under "Table 8.1.4 ZFS Dataset Options"):
Quota for this dataset and all children

integer only available in “Advanced Mode”; a specified value applies to both this dataset and any child datasets

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
That was in reference to quotas I'm taking about reservations.

nojohnny101

Wizard
@SweetAndLow

Can you confirm this is true? I was under the impression that quotas wouldn't reserve space in the system but would simply set a limit for data within that dataset.

snaptec

Guru
I have a monitoring, that alerts me If any Server / vm have failures.
For home usage a raspi is suitable for this and a nice project.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd like to point out that if your logs get you to critical pool usage, you have serious problems, either from excessive logging or a pool that's already way too full.

m3ki

Contributor
Well issue is not logs per say.

I have a second pool which is about 500Gig and auto downloading setup. So there is a very good chance that might overflow and MAX my pool. This is what I was trying to prevent not necessarily 100TB pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.