Best practices for setting up second Truenas server for personal use and replication?

Darkhog

Dabbler
Hello. I'm looking for best practices for setting up two TrueNAS servers that replicate to one another for use in two homes. TrueNAS server Machine1 will live at my house, and TrueNAS server Machine2 will live at my brothers house. Each NAS will server the household, have one pool for both their data as well as a replication target that will receive encrypted datasets from Machine2 (encrypted; we won't see each others data). I will be administering both boxes, so I'd like for them to be as similar as possible from the software configuration side.

What I've currently done is to set up my box first, add users and groups for both families, set system Tunables, and get Machine1 pool up and running. I'm now setting up the second box, and to migrate the configuration I did "Save Config" on Machine1, then "Upload Config" on Machine2.

There were some things I needed to fix -
- set a new Hostname and static IP
- Delete the pool from Machine1 as well as shares

My setup is pretty simple - no jails or plugins, just ZFS pools and SMB shares. Are there any other gotchas with this practice?

Thanks in advance!

Bikerchris

Patron
Hi Darkhog, I did investigate this myself, do have a look at this thread to see the responses I received:

I hope that helps a bit.