Setting up a second system as playground

peter_cd.cn

Dabbler
Hi,

Thanks for this awesome community and vast knowledge shared in this form. I keep coming back for more learnings and questions. Let's keep this going. I have a new question today. LOL

I would like to have a separate TrueNas + router setup aside from my "production" environment, so that if I break something while tinkering my family won't be laugh at me "IT professional breaks the wifi again"...

Does someone has a guide or plan on how they achieved this? Some requirement:
* 2nd router and TrueNas not always on.
* update versions manually to keep both production and second system in sync
* before attempting something new or updating versions. Update the playground router/trueNas first. Keep it on for a week while only my personal laptop is using it. Once safe prompt to production system.

I am hoping the second system doesn't have to have the same hardware as my production if possible. (Production hardwares in my signature). If I can use some old macbook laying around, it would be great. If I have to buy something new, budgeting it between $200 - $400 should be fine (router + a small server)

Can someone share if they have a similar system? How did they set it up on a high level?

peter_cd.cn

Dabbler
Should I 1) find a low end hardware recommendation in the #hardware subform; 2) assemble that hardware; 3) get a same branded router as my current one; 4) install TrueNas on the hardware with all the jails, vm, plugins as close as I can get to my "production system" (manually); 5) plugin 2nd nas to 2nd router and to main router. Give all backup nas, router, jails, VM static IP; 6) plugin my laptop to new router

Use the 2nd system for a week and test out problems...
Does this sounds like it will work?