Best practice for mirrored setup??

andypm1982

Dabbler
Hi there.

I am about to remove a p420 and install a 9300-8i into my supermicro chassis and currently have 12 4tb sas disks.

What I want to know is whats the best way to setup a mirrored config?? do I select the drives in pairs and setup a vdev or can I select all 12 and it will create 6 pairs??

Once its up and running I will be throwing in another 4 discs which are currently holding my data so I could wipe the other 12.

Also with this config is it worth adding zil and l2arc being as with my current p420 I can get around 1.7gbs read and 1.4gbs write with 12 discs in raid10.

I have dual 2630 v3 cpus and 64gb ecc ddr4 ram. I don't plan on adding any more ram as I have a r720 hosting my virtual machines, this box is just network storage.

Thanks.

Apollo

Wizard
Sometimes, when I need to find the answer to such questions related to volume management and creation, I find it more insightful to experiement with Freenas in a Virtual environment. Like running VirtualBox on a Windows PC and create enough virtual disks to experiment with.