Best Media Center for Local Network on TrueNAS SCALE

Railgun

Cadet
Hello everyone, I just installed my TrueNAS SCALE with many drives containing movies with Dolby Atmos.

My setup is :
- TrueNAS SCALE on local network
- AVR Dolby Atmos on local network connected to an Android TV with eARC

First, I was thinking of choosing between Plex, Emby or Jellyfin, but do I really need a server ? I just want to read lossless BDRips (stored on my NAS) with Dolby Atmos audio tracks (no need to encode into lower quality).

So, is Kodi enough ? I heard that it justs open the files rough (with advanced audio track I hope, for my Dolby AVR)

Is that it ? In that case why should I install a Media Server ? What does it bring besides online access ? Is it possible for a Media Center to read lossless BD on local network with Atmos audio tracks ?

danb35

Hall of Famer
In that case why should I install a Media Server ? What does it bring besides online access ?
Categorization and metadata, for two.
Is it possible for a Media Center to read lossless BD on local network with Atmos audio tracks ?
That might be a question better posed to the respective support channels for those pieces of software. I think what you're saying is that video and audio are stored in separate files, and if that's the case, I don't know that Plex supports that--but once again, their support channels would be a better place to confirm or disconfirm that.

ddaenen1

Patron
Hello everyone, I just installed my TrueNAS SCALE with many drives containing movies with Dolby Atmos.

My setup is :
- TrueNAS SCALE on local network
- AVR Dolby Atmos on local network connected to an Android TV with eARC

First, I was thinking of choosing between Plex, Emby or Jellyfin, but do I really need a server ? I just want to read lossless BDRips (stored on my NAS) with Dolby Atmos audio tracks (no need to encode into lower quality).

So, is Kodi enough ? I heard that it justs open the files rough (with advanced audio track I hope, for my Dolby AVR)

Is that it ? In that case why should I install a Media Server ? What does it bring besides online access ? Is it possible for a Media Center to read lossless BD on local network with Atmos audio tracks ?
I am a Plex dept. I have been running it for years now and very happy with it. I also have remote access set up in pfsense so i can watch my content from my phone or ipad. Works like a charm.