Not open for further replies.

Sini

Cadet
I have these choiches:
-Pentium 6/7th gen
-Celeron 6/7th gen
-i3 6/7th gen
The motherboard I use is: MSI H270 gaming M3

Which CPU do you consider the best in order to prevent freezing, increase stability and compatibility?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'd worry less about the CPU and more about your motherboard choice. Check the resources section at the top of the page for a list of recommended hardware.

Dice

Wizard
Which CPU do you consider the best in order to prevent freezing,
Prevent Freezing?
Users experiencing freezes may be caused of a lot of different things, other than the CPU.
Is this a post a discussion on how to fix a problem or is it rather probing for a new setup?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have these choiches:
-Pentium 6/7th gen
-Celeron 6/7th gen
-i3 6/7th gen
I don't know why you have limited yourself to those choices. You are just throwing money away going for the newest hardware.
This motherboard is going to be more of a problem when it comes to reliability and stability than the CPU will be. That is a gaming board and a horrible choice for a server.
Which CPU do you consider the best in order to prevent freezing, increase stability and compatibility?
In my view, for reliability and compatibility, nothing beats older hardware that has already been tested in a data-center running 24/7.
This is the kind of system board I use, an actual server board:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-X9SRL-F-E5-2609-LGA-2011/222984132591

Conveniently, this seller is including a CPU and cooler in the deal. If I didn't already have two of these boards, I would buy it myself.
The included CPU is only a quad core (no hyper-threading) at 2.4 GHz, but that may be plenty for a NAS, depending on what you plan to do.
I went with a little better (more powerful) CPU, this is the model I use:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon...ket-LGA2011-HEXA-Core-SERVER-CPU/332661343418

I have run three trans-coded streams from Plex using this CPU and have other processing running at the same time without maxing the CPU out. I have actually never gone over 90% and I have never had the slightest problem with the system other than drive failures, which is a whole other issue that may never go away.

Sini

Cadet
I got an older hardware (pentium g3258) as nas, we decided to change it because of it kept on freezing very often.

We got that msi refurbished. I have to use that board beacuse we use only gigabyte for workstation, that's it.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Your problem is not the processor (unless it's been overclocked), it's everything else.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I got an older hardware (pentium g3258) as nas, we decided to change it because of it kept on freezing very often.

We got that msi refurbished. I have to use that board beacuse we use only gigabyte for workstation, that's it.
A NAS is not a workstation, it is a server.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

John Doe

Guru

Are there RGB LEDs on that board?
Can they simulate a heartbeat?
Then it is perfect for a productive working environment!

consider to read the hardware recomendation guide.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Then it is perfect for a productive working environment!
Fits right in if you're DJing at a nightclub, but they're more of a macbook crowd.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Seriously, just look at the name of the board, it says gaming right in the name. This is not a server board. If you have a problem with stability of the system, it is the fault of the gaming characteristics of the board. Server boards and server processors and ECC memory are what you need to have a stable, reliable system. You shouldn't even use this kind of board for a desktop computer. I bought a Supermicro 'workstation' board and Xeon processor to build my workstation with. Get better hardware if you are concerned about stability of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.