Best configuration approach

phpcoder

Cadet
Hi guys,

Finally got the money for a serious FreeNAS setup.
I have four servers for virtualization where I run my VM's.
Three of them run Hyper-V one of them run VMware ESXi.
The storage is to be used for two things. Central storage for SOME of the VM's, and Veeam backup storage for all the VM's.

First off, the specs, then to the questions:

1 x Supermicro SSG-6038R-E1CR16L 3U server
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 - 8-Core 2.10GHz 20MB 8.0GT/s LGA2011-3 85W
8 x 32GB DDR4 2666Mhz ECC Registered 2Rx4 Samsung (256GB total)
9 x HGST Ultrastar He12 HDD - 12TB SAS3 3.5" 7k2 256MB ISE P3 512e
2 x HGST Ultrastar DC SS530 SSD - 400GB SAS3 2.5 ISE 10 DWD (ZIL)
1 x HGST Ultrastar DC SS530 SSD - 400GB SAS3 2.5 ISE 3 DWD (L2ARC)

I have installed FreeNAS on 2xSanDisk Ultra Fit USB flash drives.

Basic configuration is made, and now I'm off to create one or more pools. And even though I read a ton of articles and the startup guide, I would really appreciate some guidiance for the design.

My initial thought is to make one large pool with the 9xHGST He12 as data VDEV's setup in a RAIDZ-2 with the 2xHGST DC ISE 10 for Log VDEV's and the 1xHGST DC ISE 3 for Cache VDEV.

On top of that I need to create datasets.
I was thinking of making one for Veeam with sharetype Unix and with deduplication - as I think it would make a lot of sense in this usecase for Veeam - but as it is a RAM hog, I don't know what you'd recommend?

The I can't figure out if I should create just one dataset for iSCSI, or multiple? Also - would you recommend iSCSI for the Hyper-V hosts?

What I was thinking was using iSCSI for Hyper-V and NFS for ESXi.
I've read that iSCSI doesn't really use the share type, I guess Unix is fine as it is default?
Would iSCSI be the best option for Hyper-V - I know that there's a decrease in performance already from the first 50% of the pool is used.

The server are quite CPU strong, would you change the compression type from lz4 or just leave it at that?

I hope I have given you guys enoguh information, if there is something that I haven't supplied, please just let me know.

Thank you very much in advance!