Best alternative to ESX and vSphere

Status
Not open for further replies.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
My vmware license is expiring and I don't feel like paying again. I've got 3 ESXi hosts and a vcenter server and am looking for a replacement. I've got ~10-40 vm's but most are for testing, only a handful are running anything infrastructure wise (Domain Controllers, DNS, Splunk, PRTG and minecraft).

I'm looking for something easy to manage, has a vmotion-like capability, support windows, linux, BSD, etc.

Has anyone else gone through this? Just curious what your favorite system is.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
With 3 hosts, you're within the umbrella that you can license via the VMUG EvalExperience for ~USD$200/yr. If you're currently paying for Essentials, VMUG represents a major cost-savings considering what you get.

But if you're determined to toss it? I'd say KVM with oVirt for centralized management, or ProxMox.

Sakuru

Guru
Proxmox.

Mlovelace

Guru
My vmware license is expiring and I don't feel like paying again. I've got 3 ESXi hosts and a vcenter server and am looking for a replacement. I've got ~10-40 vm's but most are for testing, only a handful are running anything infrastructure wise (Domain Controllers, DNS, Splunk, PRTG and minecraft).

I'm looking for something easy to manage, has a vmotion-like capability, support windows, linux, BSD, etc.

Has anyone else gone through this? Just curious what your favorite system is.
For your home lab or is this for production use?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Home lab

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Thanks guys - Looks like I'll be looking into Proxmox. Or forking over another couple hundred to vmware because I wasn't able to migrate in time.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I haven't had the time to migrate, but I think I'm going to try Proxmox. I'm tired of vmware and don't feel like forking over $200/yr for what I consider basic functionality in a home lab.

Nick2253

Wizard
I'm curious about Proxmox, since I hadn't heard about it until this thread. I'm currently using XenServer, but the container capabilities of Proxmox has me curious.

Can anyone using Proxmox comment on their subscription deal? From what I gathered on the website, it unlocks some "Enterprise" stuff, but I can't figure out what it is. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like you need it.

Mlovelace

Guru
Yeah, only reason I am considering VMUG EvalExperience is for SRV-IO for my 10GB Intel NICs really...
It would be cheaper to get additional Intel 10Gb cards and passthrough than to license VMware for SR-IOV (FTFY) ;)

snaptec

Guru
If you have the know how - kvm, managed by virsh.
Easy scriptable, live migration and other Features ... Even HA If you need it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
It would be cheaper to get additional Intel 10Gb cards and passthrough than to license VMware for SR-IOV (FTFY) ;)
Good call, I actually have a couple Chelsio 10Gb cards. Only have one free slot to work with and was saving it for another LSI 9200-8e (possible additional JBODs). Guess I can just replace that card with a LSI 9201-16e and still have room... :)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm curious about Proxmox, since I hadn't heard about it until this thread. I'm currently using XenServer, but the container capabilities of Proxmox has me curious.

Can anyone using Proxmox comment on their subscription deal? From what I gathered on the website, it unlocks some "Enterprise" stuff, but I can't figure out what it is. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like you need it.

Subscription gets you support, and a different repo for the OS and updates. You don't need it for a home lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.