Best 1gbp Network Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrod696

Explorer
I currently have an Intel I350-t2, I got a new motherboard and if it is in the motherboard it will not post no matter what I do, I have turned off, disabled everything in the card spent days on forums and it just wont have it. I have given up on it all together and using the integrated Realtek RTL8111E on the motherboard now.

I am pretty convinced this card is a chinese knockoff at this point. In the machine I can get it working on when I try to get firmware information out of it its just ---------- even though I did do an update on it myself.

Before I go buy another I350, is there a better card out now that is at a reasonable price (cheap)? or should i still go with the I350, I also only need 1 port.
If the I350 is the way to go, where is a safe legit place to buy one.
Or should I just stick with the Realtek?

Ideally ide like to buy a 10gbp card to plan ahead but it seems like a waste right now. Although the ASUS XG-C100C looks reasonable, is that a compatible choice? only 80 bucks.

Thoughts, Comments, Concerns?

Lastly, pics of the offender!!!!

Attachments

• 20180804_183200.png
    20180804_183200.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 310
  • 20180804_183208.png
    20180804_183208.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 315
Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I got a new motherboard and if it is in the motherboard it will not post no matter what I do
What kind? It is more likely that the motherboard is the problem than the Intel NIC.
Ideally ide like to buy a 10gbp card to plan ahead but it seems like a waste right now.
If you can't make that Intel card work, the system board is probably such junk that it wouldn't work with a 10Gb card either.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Jrod696

Explorer
If you can't make that Intel card work, the system board is probably such junk that it wouldn't work with a 10Gb card either.
Its old thats for sure, weird thing is it worked on an older Motherboard, but its the new ones it doesnt, ive tried on 5 systems and 2 it works 3 it doesn't. MSI/Gigabyte/Asus/2xDell, It works on one of the dell machines and and the old Asus.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
MSI Z87-G43
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-G43.html
That's the problem. It is listed among their, "Gaming and Consumer" products and as such, most of your server grade accessories like multi port NICs, 10Gb cards that are actually supported by FreeNAS, and your average SAS HBA will probably not work in it because the UEFI (BIOS) doesn't have the hooks built in.
If you want a server, start with a server board...
Sorry.

Here is the list of known compatible hardware:

FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas®-quick-hardware-guide.7/

Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev 1e) 2017-05-06
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12
What is it your looking at to see compatibility?
If you look at the drivers page it only lists Linux and Windows.

Last edited:

Jrod696

Explorer
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-G43.html
That's the problem. It is listed among their, "Gaming and Consumer" products and as such, most of your server grade accessories like multi port NICs, 10Gb cards that are actually supported by FreeNAS, and your average SAS HBA will probably not work in it because the UEFI (BIOS) doesn't have the hooks built in.

I actually have a LSI SAS 9217-8i HBA in it now and it works fine, no issues.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. The system board only lists Windows drivers. It is pure luck that it works at all.
I actually have a LSI SAS 9217-8i HBA in it now and it works fine, no issues.
Sometimes, even a broken clock has the right time.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Jrod696

Explorer
The Realtek cards are known to have slow performance compared to the Intel cards, but you can use it if you like.

I see about a 20mbp drop using the Realtek, that is why I was hoping to get another Intel, looks like I will go with the one you linked, TY

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I will go with the one you linked, TY
Sorry if I cam across a bit harsh. Any time I can, I will help, I just might give a little extra depending on how my day went.
Today, I cut a chunk out of my finger with a saw and had to jump start my car four times because the battery is dead.

Jrod696

Explorer
No big deal, it happens, besides you didn't point out anything I didn't already know. Just doin what I can with what I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.