Benchmarking ZFS performance on TrueNAS

nemesis1782

Contributor
Hi All,

I would like to make to switch to ZFS and TrueNAS. I'm in the process of gaining knowledge, aqcuiring hardware and asking question. (Thread about that: https://www.truenas.com/community/t...-first-treunas-setup.91526/page-2#post-634858)

Now from what I've seen there are many conflicting stories especially on performance and benchmarking it is a bit of mixed bag because of the way ZFS works.

What I'm thinking is writing something to do a proper benchmarking tool for TrueNAS / FreeBSD to "benchmark" a ZFS pool. First of because of the way ZFS works a benchmark would be time consuming and would put your hardware through it's pases for a long time! So I'm looking to make a "cheap" array to test with. SInce a 6x1TB disk vdev will probably scale in performance and behavior compared to a 6x8TB enterprise disks vdev.

How will I be testing (this approach will probably not work when using dedup and compression):
Note: Sample means sample and log.
- Have a second disk array of fast read storage with static files of differing sizes

Archiving performance:
- Test A1: Archiving large chunks of data, single source
--> Start with a clean zPool containing 1 vDEV
--> Start writing a single stream of Large chunks of data until full and sample the throughput (every 10 seconds or so), include important zPool and vDEV statistics for each sample, still need to see what I'll need to be logging
--> Test read at certain intervals
- Test A2: Archiving small chunks of data, single source
--> Start writing a single stream of small chunks of data until full and sample the throughput (every 10 seconds or so), include important zPool and vDEV statistics for each sample, still need to see what I'll need to be logging
- Test A3: Archiving large chunks of data, multi source
--> Start writing multiple (10x) streams of Large chunks of data simulataniously until full and sample the throughput, total and per stream (every 10 seconds or so), include important zPool and vDEV statistics for each sample, still need to see what I'll need to be logging
- Test A4: Archiving small chunks of data, multi source
--> Start writing multiple (10x) stream of small chunks of data until full and sample the throughput (every 10 seconds or so), include important zPool and vDEV statistics for each sample, still need to see what I'll need to be logging
- Test A5: Archiving varying chunks of data, multi source
--> Start writing multiple (10x) stream of varying sizes of chunks of data until full and sample the throughput (every 10 seconds or so), include important zPool and vDEV statistics for each sample, still need to see what I'll need to be logging

Ever changing data disk. For instance download destination:
I will add this later, since I really need to get to work now.

Block devices:
I will add this later, since I really need to get to work now.

I am a experienced Software engineer with C oriented languages. Maily C++(Linux), C#(Windows and Linux). However do not yet have any experience developing for FreeBSD or TrueNAS.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

nemesis1782

Contributor
ZFS can be considered full at 80% of pool capacity.
Thnx. For the reply that is what everyone keeps telling me. I'll make it a configurable, however I will be verifying that claim.

There's no need to test to 100% (which will kill the pool).
That still flaber gasts me :P

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Thnx. For the reply that is what everyone keeps telling me. I'll make it a configurable, however I will be verifying that claim.

That still flaber gasts me :P

ZFS is a COW filesystem. It needs to allocate new data into unused blocks and does so in transaction groups that involve contiguous blocks wherever possible. As a pool fills, fewer such contiguous blocks will remain, so operations become less efficient and more difficult to perform. (I find this article a good explanation: https://arstechnica.com/information...01-understanding-zfs-storage-and-performance/)

A pool will not die until it is actually full (100%), but there's nothing stopping you from putting data on a 99.9% full pool to tip it over the edge.

For good IOPS/block storage performance, keeping below 50% full is a recommendation.

If you feel that it's necessary to "verify" any of it, go ahead.

nemesis1782

Contributor
As a start. I'm not trying to annoy you or saying you do not know what you are talking about. I am however noticing a lot missing factual and measurable information on the topic. I do very much understand that my knowledge on the subject is limited, one of the goals is to increase this.

ZFS is a COW filesystem. It needs to allocate new data into unused blocks and does so in transaction groups that involve contiguous blocks wherever possible. As a pool fills, fewer such contiguous blocks will remain, so operations become less efficient and more difficult to perform. (I find this article a good explanation: https://arstechnica.com/information...01-understanding-zfs-storage-and-performance/)
Well, yes I understand how ZFS works to some degree and it's performance degradation is reliant on many factors. Nice article btw I'll give that a read tonight. However from what I understand at this point 80% is well wrong. It depends on the size of your files, the amount of changes and a lot of other factors. For instance mixing small and large files in heavily a changing data set can actually make that more like 40%. That is the nature of fragmentation. There are however many other factors as well that contribute to the performance of the system.

Can you list them and their exact impact for me?

A pool will not die until it is actually full (100%), but there's nothing stopping you from putting data on a 99.9% full pool to tip it over the edge.
I'm sorry but that is just sloppy/bad design. You should not be able to kill it with normal usage! I hope that we can at least on that much ;)

For good IOPS/block storage performance, keeping below 50% full is a recommendation.
Well here you basicly say ok. We have the 80% but.... Now I think there are some more buts hidden in a number of places. So why not find out and know instead of just guessing and throwing the dice.

If you feel that it's necessary to "verify" any of it, go ahead.
To this point I've just seen guestimates. No hard numbers no clear explanations other than this is how it works. I understand that but what is the ACTUAL impact. From what I see I'm not the only one that has these questions.

Further more just going with the flow and hoping for the best is not the approach I would like to choose for such a sizable investment.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Can you list them and their exact impact for me?
I'm not going to do that.
People (not limited to this: https://www.oracle.com/technical-re...cture/admin-sto-recommended-zfs-settings.html) have already done it.

I'm sorry but that is just sloppy/bad design. You should not be able to kill it with normal usage! I hope that we can at least on that much ;)
So you're calling the same fault on every car ever made... not one I'm aware of that can't be driven off a cliff using the accelerator and steering wheel normally.

Now I think there are some more buts hidden in a number of places. So why not find out and know instead of just guessing and throwing the dice.
They are known and documented in this forum in addition to elsewhere.

Further more just going with the flow and hoping for the best is not the approach I would like to choose for such a sizable investment.
Fair point, as I said, test/prove it if you want to.

nemesis1782

Contributor
I'm not going to do that.
People (not limited to this: https://www.oracle.com/technical-re...cture/admin-sto-recommended-zfs-settings.html) have already done it.
Lol. So yeah sorry for the confusion. Of course I do not ask you to regurgitate the information for me. This seems to be only for vsphere related applications though.

So you're calling the same fault on every car ever made... not one I'm aware of that can't be driven off a cliff using the accelerator and steering wheel normally.
Again no. I've commented on this in the other topic as well. It would be true if every file system would die once at 100% usage, but this is not the case mow is it.

If you want to make a analogy to a car. It'd be filling car with 100% gas and it being bricked. Or maybe emptying the tank of a car and it being bricked.

Another analogy would be reaching maximum speed and the car being bricked.

Your analogy would be more akin to throwing your storage server of a cliff while connected with very long connection cords. Now in that case the thing not surviving is no longer a design flaw.

They are known and documented in this forum in addition to elsewhere.
To start of a forum is not a source of documentation. Although it can be a way to acquire information.

The number of questions and incorrect assumptions throughout this forum and the internet seem to contradict your statement. If you want I can compile a list for you. Just let me know how large you want the sample size.

As for a example of documented, I would still not call this well documented: https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/performance
Another example of documentation, less pretty but of higher quality (also with a different intention): https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.2/Capacity/Referencehardware
Another example: https://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/v1.8/guides/hardware_sizing/

As a closing remark:
Like it or not ZFS and thus TrueNAS seems to have some MAJOR disadvantages. I do recognize that it also has MAJOR advantages. However putting in the sand and ignoring the con's doesn't help any one. Now I am not saying my conclusion are correct. However I still haven't seen any tangible proof that your claims are correct, nor do I say they're incorrect. Except for the claim that using a file system and filling it to the bring causing a collapse of spacetime being normal and expected behavior.

nemesis1782

Contributor
@sretalla: Just wanted to add that I went through a lot of your posts around the forum and they're mostly helpful and do definitely indicate you know what you're talking about at least from a usage standpoint.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So is filling a disk to 100% a user or a system behavior? Is designing a system in a way that will automatically result in a disk becoming full a system error?

every file system would die once at 100% usage
Many do. Others are helped by protection features of the OS they are running on.

filling car with 100% gas and it being bricked
If bricked = having gas all down your leg, then sure it is. And the car doesn't stop that either (it's the gas pump... much the same as the user shouldn't fill the disk past the fill limit...).

To start of a forum is not a source of documentation.
... Unless you count the documentation and resources sections...

Like it or not ZFS and thus TrueNAS seems to have some MAJOR disadvantages.
I don't think anyone is trying to deny them. You've been invited to test and confirm them for yourself.

However putting in the sand and ignoring the con's doesn't help any one.
Nobody here is doing that. If anything, we're trying to help people to see them and avoid the consequences.

Except for the claim that using a file system and filling it to the bring causing a collapse of spacetime being normal and expected behavior.
It's a feature of the filesystem and thus can/should be avoided in designing to employ it.

Perhaps you feel this exchange is adversarial... I'm just responding to your points, no malice here.

nemesis1782

Contributor
So is filling a disk to 100% a user or a system behavior? Is designing a system in a way that will automatically result in a disk becoming full a system error?

Many do. Others are helped by protection features of the OS they are running on.

If bricked = having gas all down your leg, then sure it is. And the car doesn't stop that either (it's the gas pump... much the same as the user shouldn't fill the disk past the fill limit...).
Ok wait. Think we might have a bit of miss communication here.

What I interpreted is 100% full zPool is dead zPool. Remove the zPool and try again kind of dead. What I think you mean 100% full will mean no more writing and possible side effects due to a system not being able to persist it's data anymore which is well, yeah duh.

So let's say I fill a zPool for 100% will the zPool actually fail? Or will it allow me to remove say 90% of it's data and start using it again? (Fragmentation issues will in that case still be probable of course)

As for what I meant with bricked, see the top definition here: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bricked

... Unless you count the documentation and resources sections...
Wouldn't really count that as part of the forum. Did not say/mean there is no documentation. I said a forum is not documentation. I also stated that the information I'm looking for is not in the documentation and that for many it is not clearly explained.

I don't think anyone is trying to deny them. You've been invited to test and confirm them for yourself.
Not really what I meant. Many here hail ZFS as being the pinnacle of file system/storage manager. For some use cases I would agree, but there are many and I say many caveats. These caveats are not well defined and or explained. Many wave them away saying well if you want a Ferrari best not show up with 500 Euro to a show room. But often that is not the point since the need a minivan... No matter how much you spend on a Ferrari it'll never be a good minivan (assuming and hoping Ferrari never made a minivan :P )

Nobody here is doing that. If anything, we're trying to help people to see them and avoid the consequences.
Well, let's split this one up.
1. Yes you and some others are definitely trying to be helpful, as with any forum not everyone is of course.
2. I do notice a fair of defensive posturing. In the way of o no he didn't just say that. Resulting in a (and I exaggerate) are you stupid or what? Which might in some cases may be deserved but is almost never fruitful.
3. In my opinion these consequence as well the what, how and why are often vague and not very well supported in facts or hard numbers. This of course is partly due to the difficulty of the topic and most here are probably (just) users of the system/tecnology.

It's a feature of the filesystem and thus can/should be avoided in designing to employ it.
If the file system itself gets damaged or is unusable after being utilized for 100% then there is a issue in the design, period. Especially since the claim of ZFS is it's high level redundancy and data security. Now by damage/unusable I mean:
- A loss of data up to the 100%, of course any write above 100% is clearly not going to be written and gives a IO error to the system that ordered the write. Also the last writes before reaching 100% may and will probably be partial data, chances are low a file would fit exactly.
- Unable to free up data by removing files/blocks and after freeing up data being able to use said data again

Perhaps you feel this exchange is adversarial... I'm just responding to your points, no malice here.
Hehe, no I was afraid you thought I was being adversarial which isn't my intention. So if that's not the case then it's great :)

At this point I have a lot of things to read up on. Will do this first to get a better handle on things so we can converse on more even ground.

nemesis1782

Contributor
As for the documentation I'll go through it all. However Just from the first page What is TrueNAS I already have quite a few comments. It does paint an accurate picture and seems to be mostly marketing padded with technical terms.

Ok gotten a bit deeper into the documentation and indeed answer a few questions I've had (many which I haven't asked yet). It'll take a few days to read through all of it though.

Last edited:

sretalla