Is there a way to temporarily flush or disable ARC for testing purposes?

JamesNisly

Dabbler
I’m in the middle of a new build and I”m currently trying to get a handle on how much of an impact a metadata special vdev will have in our particular workflow on a sample of actual client data.

To this end, I have three pools set up with the same sample data on all three. One with no special vdev, one with a metadata only special vdev, and one with a vdev with metadata and small files.

I have a small battery of common operations that I‘m trying to run some repeated tests on in order to get some semi-reliable timing numbers between the three special vdev scenarios.

The only problem is that after each test, the ARC kicks in as it should and I have to reboot between every test to ensure that I’m actually pulling data from the pools and not just getting it from cache.

Is there a way to temporarily disable ARC just to help speed this process up a little?

sretalla