Base-os error when attempting to upgrade from TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 to latest

verinas

Dabbler
Hi there,

I noticed on my upgrade screen that my current version of TrueNAS is EOL (TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1), so I'm trying to upgrade to 13.0-U3.1

However, when I try to update via the UI I get the following error:

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 367, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 405, in __run_body
    rv = await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self.method, *([self] + args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/utils/run_in_thread.py", line 10, in run_in_thread
    return await self.loop.run_in_executor(self.run_in_thread_executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 979, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py", line 320, in download
    return self.middleware.call_sync('update.download_update', job, train, location, 100)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1272, in call_sync
    return self.run_coroutine(methodobj(*prepared_call.args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1312, in run_coroutine
    return fut.result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 438, in result
    return self.__get_result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 390, in __get_result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py", line 324, in download_update
    success = await self.middleware.call('update.download_impl', *args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1256, in call
    return await self._call(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1224, in _call
    return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1128, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/download_freebsd.py", line 30, in download_impl
    Update.DownloadUpdate(
  File "/usr/local/lib/freenasOS/Update.py", line 1106, in DownloadUpdate
    pkg_file = conf.FindPackageFile(
  File "/usr/local/lib/freenasOS/Configuration.py", line 1274, in FindPackageFile
    raise Exceptions.UpdatePackageNotFound(package.Name())
freenasOS.Exceptions.UpdatePackageNotFound: base-os

I've found some similar posts that mention trying to delete the files in /var/db/system/update and try again. Have done that, and it hasn't made any difference.

I also note that none of my plugins or jails will upgrade or update either (which was the reason I was upgrading as I figure the version I'm on isn't supported). Not sure if this issue is in any way related but if I try to upgrade installed packages in one of my jails I can't find the repo

Code:
root@homebridge:~ # pkg update
Updating plugin-default repository catalogue...
pkg: http://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/quarterly/meta.txz: Not Found
repository plugin-default has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: http://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/quarterly/packagesite.txz: Not Found
Unable to update repository plugin-default
Error updating repositories!

I was also unable to upgrade the jail or the plugin via the UI.

Code:
root@freenas:/var/db/system/update # iocage upgrade homebridge
Snapshotting homebridge...
Snapshot already exists
Updating plugin INDEX...
Updating plugin artifact...
Cloning git repository

Branch 12.2-RELEASE does not exist at https://github.com/grimneko/iocage-plugin-homebridge.git!
Using "master" branch for plugin, this may not work with your RELEASE

Host: 12.2-RELEASE is not greater than target: 12.3-RELEASE
This is unsupported.

I could run the manual upgrade but I'd first like to understand why it's not working in the UI and make sure that there's not something else wrong that is going to cause issues with the upgrade. It didn't seem many others were having this issue from what I've found searching. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also not sure if it's relevant, but the SSL Cert for https://update.freenas.org/ appears to be invalid.

Last edited:

TheDooD

Cadet
I am having the same issue/error when trying to upgrade. I am by no means anywhere near an expert, but I do see that their SSL certificates seem to have expired. When I try a simple 'wget' command to try and manually download the update file it fails due to an expired certificate.

I see on this forum that a few folks have noticed the same issue and have reached out to IX Systems IT team for a resolution.

Not saying this is what's causing the issue, but I think it might be the case.

verinas

Dabbler
Hi there, still unable to upgrade. Anyone got any ideas on how to progress forwards?

I would have thought upgrading from the latest 12 version to 13 would have been a relatively easy activity.