BAREOS Backup Server

TAG_TEAM

Dabbler
I am looking into installing a full BAREOS Server in docker containers on TrueNAS SCALE to backup everything on the LAN (Linux and Windows).

If I go to the Github repository and pull the barcus/bareos repository, there are options to install all of the containers at once (with a .yml file and an environmental file for passwords and such...) which makes for a simple 2 minute job in Docker Desktop or similar... I have been pulling my hair out trying to use individual Docker BAREOS containers for the 8 components required for a complete install of BAREOS. Currently, I cannot get the containers to talk to each other, or have passwords and ports that would communicate properly. I know long ago there was a plugin for Bacula, but it has long since dissolved.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how I can get a working install of BAREOS Backup Server in docker containers? I would have already installed a VM and put BAREOS on the VM, but my 2 quad core Xeon CPU's will only operate with 1 CPU and 1 thread with TrueNAS SCALE- surely not enough to run a VM and BAREOS.

I am completely willing to pay it forward and document everything and post it for the community. Hopefully, some kind person might assist me. - I will add I am brand new to SCALE - long time CORE user that mainly hosted SMB shares for Windows LAN backups, so I am sort of a noob on how apps, pods, containers, charts, docker and helm charts work. My hardware should be posted below.

TAG_TEAM

Dabbler
Bump; no one has any advice for me? I would have thought that someone in the community is using BAREOS for backups on TrueNAS SCALE.

truecharts

Guru
Simply put:
docker-compose (which that repo uses) is not supported on TrueNAS SCALE.
You need to use the GUI, apps/helm catalogm or API.

TAG_TEAM

Dabbler
Simply put:
docker-compose (which that repo uses) is not supported on TrueNAS SCALE.
You need to use the GUI, apps/helm catalogm or API.
Would it be possible using the Truecharts Docker-Compose app?

TAG_TEAM

Dabbler
YES and NO. There is a way to run docker compose on a TrueNAS system, but as is mentioned it is not supported - I used Jail MKR and Portrainer installed on top of that and got BAREOS running. The NO part is I abandoned BAREOS for Proxmox PBS Backup Server. At the time I did it I had to make a VM in Proxmox PVE and transfer that as a VM to TrueNAS. It is still working now. The easy answer to this is if you are using Scale, you can install Proxmox PBS as a supported TrueNAS chart/app. and alleviate all the time I spent hacking it onto my TrueNAS Scale server. Just go look up Proxmox in the apps section. BAREOS is infinitely harder to administer than Proxmox PBS and the rerpo I mention has some hard bugs in it and it is not getting updated or wasn't when I left it behind.

victort

Guru
YES and NO. There is a way to run docker compose on a TrueNAS system, but as is mentioned it is not supported - I used Jail MKR and Portrainer installed on top of that and got BAREOS running. The NO part is I abandoned BAREOS for Proxmox PBS Backup Server. At the time I did it I had to make a VM in Proxmox PVE and transfer that as a VM to TrueNAS. It is still working now. The easy answer to this is if you are using Scale, you can install Proxmox PBS as a supported TrueNAS chart/app. and alleviate all the time I spent hacking it onto my TrueNAS Scale server. Just go look up Proxmox in the apps section. BAREOS is infinitely harder to administer than Proxmox PBS and the rerpo I mention has some hard bugs in it and it is not getting updated or wasn't when I left it behind.
You could just install an Ubuntu VM and run it that way.