Bad idea using FreeNAS for 2012 VM host?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibrouting

Cadet
I have a FreeNAS server I have been running since version 7 and love it. I use it with Duplicati to backup about 45 local and remote machines via SSH and it just....works. We just received in a 2012 R2 Datacenter server that the server guys wanted, but it only has 2 148GB drives (with 128GB of RAM, go figure). So the question came up if they can store the VM's on FreeNAS (I have about 16TB free). Is this a good idea or a BAD IDEA. If it works, they would store and load the VM from FreeNAS and just use the server as a head end. Since I have never tried to host a VM (or even a CIFS share) I just wanted to ask for an opinion from those that may have been down this road.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Do these vms need to perform fast? If they do you will need mirrored vdevs, lots of memory and maybe even a l2arc device.

Yes VM storage will work but getting high performance is harder.

ibrouting

Cadet
Do these vms need to perform fast? If they do you will need mirrored vdevs, lots of memory and maybe even a l2arc device.

Yes VM storage will work but getting high performance is harder.
Thank you for the prompt reply! No, the machines would be email, a linux web server for an Intranet portal (60 users max and never more than 5 at a time) and a SQL server that runs a pretty much stagnant pool of data. Is this best to do with a CIFS share or iSCSI or???

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Mail server and SQL server sound like higher performance to me. If you share with iscsi you shouldn't allow your pool to become more than 60% full otherwise your will see massive performance drop off.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. that sounds like "high demand" if you want to run a mail server and SQL server. Both of those put some hurt on a ZFS based system. :P

Nick2253

Wizard
In a standard configuration, I would say it's a bad idea. In particular, pulling data from FreeNAS will be terrible for random I/O, which is what their email and SQL databases will be doing constantly.

Depending what the budget is, I would pick on of three options:
  1. You can mitigate the speed problems with lots of RAM and a high-speed SLOG. Exactly how much RAM depends on the use case, but more is generally better than less :D
  2. Get some high performance SAS drives, and put those in a new striped-mirrored pool, and provide that for the VMs. The speed of the SAS drives, plus the striped mirrors, will give you some improved performance. I would still strongly recommend a SLOG.
  3. However, I'd say that the best approach would be to simply get some larger drives for the server and set them in a mirror. If the server can hold four drives, then a local RAID10 array will give you very good performance, even with slower drives (like NAS drives).
Don't forget to ensure that you have sync writes enables. I don't remember if it's enabled by default over iSCSI. If it's not enabled, there's a serious risk that you'll lose or corrupt data for the VMs. (https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...xi-nfs-so-slow-and-why-is-iscsi-faster.12506/)

Status
Not open for further replies.