Backup when PC is off

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewGeneral

Dabbler
I know this is a stupid question but since this is my first time building a NAS box (FreeNAS), I figured I'd ask. I know there is a way to schedule automatic backups of my windows and ubuntu pcs to my NAS, but what happens when the PCs are off? I'm guessing it just won't back it up. If that's the case, is there a work around this? Like do windows and/or ubuntu support rtc wakeup?

Last edited by a moderator:

nojohnny101

Wizard
This is really the wrong place to be asking this question, this is more of a windows/ubuntu question.

With that said, what method are you using to back up your machines to the FreeNAS box?

Last edited by a moderator:

NewGeneral

Dabbler
Well I haven't exactly built my nas yest so I'm not backing them up at all. I was planning on just using windows backup and restore and maybe rsync for the ubuntu

nojohnny101

Wizard
I might be missing something but why would your PC need to be backed up if it is off? I guess there could be changes from the time you last backed up to the time you shut down the computer. Is that what you are referring to?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Most modern systems have scheduled startup settings in the BIOS, so if you're planning daily backups to FreeNAS, you could make the Windows and Ubuntu machines start up a few minutes before their scheduled backup time. Another approach is to backup more frequently, e.g. hourly, and thus not have to worry about the powered off periods.

NewGeneral

Dabbler
I might be missing something but why would your PC need to be backed up if it is off? I guess there could be changes from the time you last backed up to the time you shut down the computer. Is that what you are referring to?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm referring to. Like if the back ups are scheduled for 5:00, but I always cut my PC off at 4:59, then I would never have any backups.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Well if that is the case then as @Robert Trevellyan mentioned, I would ensure that doesn't happen by changing the appropriate BIOS settings so your backup schedule coincides with your computer(s) being on or if you decided to use a program that will automate things and keep them in sync, then use the scheduling features built into that.

This is really not related and should be addressed on there FreeNAS side of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.