Backup shares to network drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandamonium

Dabbler
Hi All,

I've tried to search for an answer to this, but most questions seem to revolve around cloud backups, so I thought I'd just ask...

I'd like to have something installed on my Freenas box which can backup my some of my shares to another network drive. Preferably with compression and encryption. Even better if it sat in it's own jail.

Is there anyway to achieve this please?

Many Thanks

Paul

Redcoat

MVP
Replication of snapshots is the built-in standard for this. I suggest you look at the guide section 8 and then make a search for "snapshots and replication" using the "Search Forums" function in the masthead. There are a large number of threads on this topic.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
There is also rsync if you want to use it. It gives you additional options for how to send the backup, and it can be scheduled, so the backup can be sent to a FreeNAS server or any other systems that is able to do rsync.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Both replication and rsync are built in to FreeNAS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Pandamonium

Dabbler
Thanks both but, unless I'm misunderstanding something (which is highly likely), neither of these options will quite work for me.

I maybe should have been a little clearer - I am looking for a file level backup which can backup to a Windows Device. As far as I can see, snapshots is an all or nothing option, replication needs a ZFS destination and Rsync doesn't seem to support encryption or compression (again - please correct me if I've got that wrong).

Basically, I want my Freenas box to take a Windows share, compress and encrypt them into a backup type file(s) and then store that on another Windows box.

I hope that's a little clearer.

Thanks again

Paul

diedrichg

Wizard
Syncthing or Resilio. FreeNAS would be the parent and the Windows application would be the target. The files would be transferred securely but there would not be any compression nor encryption.

Redcoat

MVP
Why not use a Windows program like Veeam Agent to "pull" the data from your FreeNAS share and save to your desired drive? Veeam Agent is free, works well for me to back up my Windows machines to a FreeNAS share.

toadman

Guru
Why not use a Windows program like Veeam Agent to "pull" the data from your FreeNAS share and save to your desired drive? Veeam Agent is free, works well for me to back up my Windows machines to a FreeNAS share.

+1. I do the exact same thing with that software. While I haven't tried it the other way around (FreeNAS SMB share pulled to local drive) I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Pandamonium

Dabbler

Sorry for the delay in coming back, I didn't have any spare time to come back to this, but I do now.

I'm actually using Veeam Agent to backup my Windows devices, but (as far as I can see), it doesn't support backing up network shares - even if you map them as local drives, they don't get listed as source drives.

Also, I've spent a lot of time and money on this Freenas system and I was hoping to use the spare power of this device to do the grunt work of the backup process so I could simply write the output to a cheap device specifically put aside for storing these backups. I've setup Veeam Agent on the windows devices to do just that, but can't see a way to do this for my Freenas shares.

Still searching for a solution :-D

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.