Backup of FreeNAS configuration database

Status
Not open for further replies.

plq

Dabbler
Would it be possible to backup/reload the configuration database over the net?

Preferably to both Mac and Windows mashines?

Provided, of course that others consider it a useful feature!

danb35

Hall of Famer
It already is. When you log into the Web GUI, go to the Settings tab and scroll to the bottom. "Save Config" will download the config database to your machine; "Upload Config" will upload your backup to the FreeNAS box and reboot it.

LibraryMark

Cadet
Is there a way to automate the backup of the config db? Like as in wget it from another server?

J

James

Sounds like a good idea for a cron job on the other server. Or you could set the cron job from the GUI on FreeNAS and push the config using the built-in rsync.

Reactions: Oko

catmanth

Cadet
system configuration backup

hi
I tried it on my test machine, using FreeNas 8.2 Beta.
It is principal working as long as the ZFS volume is still correct and only the OS hard-drive is reformatted and reinstalled.
As I removed the data hard-drive partition, I not found a way to get the file structure back from the backup.
The backup knows the ZFS volume name but not let me connect it to the new hard drive, I give up to play around after 4 or 5 hours

there I looking also for a solution, in special is it possible to split the saved data into 2 or more parts:

1) save all user and groups with there respective configuration
2) save all ZFS sub-volume information and the relation to group rights
3) save all exported (CIFS) volumes and there respective data

the rebuilding will be much faster in case of an crash. I tested it here with all this problems.
this was on the end the main issue, the configuration and restoring

The data you every time should have a backup, (we have) but to setup the basic system with user, groups and file structure is a pain to recreate.
In special when you have close to 100 users an more ZFS sub volumes.

please consider about

thanks

sonny81

Contributor
I keep getting a failed message when Freenas is rebooting after installing a backup configuration file via the web GUI. Basically I had Freenas on a hard drive and found out why my mobo didn't like my flash card. Installed Freenas on flash card, working fine, but then I upload my backup configuration and I get the rebooting message.

On the Freenas after I get the failure message I manually reboot and the loading process gets stuck at Boot: F1 (before Freenas even begins to load).

Please help.

Rich N

Cadet
I keep getting a failed message when Freenas is rebooting after installing a backup configuration file via the web GUI. Basically I had Freenas on a hard drive and found out why my mobo didn't like my flash card. Installed Freenas on flash card, working fine, but then I upload my backup configuration and I get the rebooting message.

On the Freenas after I get the failure message I manually reboot and the loading process gets stuck at Boot: F1 (before Freenas even begins to load).

Please help.

I'm having this issue. How did you fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.