Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

DocPMD

Dabbler
I am attempting to use Backup and Restore (Windows 7) to backup my data drive on my Windows 11 PC to an SMB share on my TrueNAS server.

When I attempt to make the connection, it does not work. It appears to me that there is an issue with authentication, but I don't really know. I attached a screenshot of the error message.

I can connect to the share through File Explorer just fine.

I don't really want to use third party software. I did try Aomei Backupper and it functioned fine, but I ended up with side effects in Windows that were problematic. So I'd prefer to use the native Windows software.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update: I figured it out. Unbelievably simple. Found the clue on the Veeam forum.

In the authentication credentials, instead of using the user_name, you have to use server_name\user_name. So in my case it was truenas\phil.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-03 083731.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-03 083731.png
    412.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I wonder if the white spaces in the path are somehow throwing it off? (Though I'd imagine Windows is apt at handling these, since many paths in Windows use white spaces loosely.)

And just to make sure, you have an SMB share in TrueNAS named "pc_backup" (not the path, but the name)? Within the "root" of this share there exists a folder named "Data Drive"?

In other words, when you visit Shares -> SMB Shares, you will see a share named "pc_backup".

Last edited:
I have heard of this issue before using Windows backup tools on FreeNAS/TrueNAS. If its just one or two machines have you considered using Veeam?

DocPMD

Dabbler
I wonder if the white spaces in the path are somehow throwing it off? (Though I'd imagine Windows is apt at handling these, since many paths in Windows use white spaces loosely.)

And just to make sure, you have an SMB share in TrueNAS named "pc_backup" (not the path, but the name)? Within the "root" of this share there exists a folder named "Data Drive"?

In other words, when you visit Shares -> SMB Shares, you will see a share named "pc_backup".
Yes, the share is named pc_backup

DocPMD

Dabbler
I have heard of this issue before using Windows backup tools on FreeNAS/TrueNAS. If its just one or two machines have you considered using Veeam?
I only have the one PC to back up. Haven't tried Veeam, but as I said, I'd really like to avoid third party stuff because you get strange side effects sometimes (as I did with Aomei) and it's another background process running.

But if the Windows thing can't get fixed, I guess that would be my only option.

Can you do a test by renaming the "Data Drive" folder to "Data_Drive"?

Or would that ruin other parts of your setup?

Another test:

Close out of everything.

Open up the Command Prompt and run this command:
Code:
 NET USE * /D /Y

Then reboot your Windows 11 PC.

Now try again without first attempting to access the share via File Explorer.

DocPMD

Dabbler
Another test:

Close out of everything.

Open up the Command Prompt and run this command:
Code:
 NET USE * /D /Y

Then reboot your Windows 11 PC.

Now try again without first attempting to access the share via File Explorer.
No dice

What are the permissions / ACLs of the dataset and folder?

Try Veeam and if it works you’re golden. I’m sure there is an issue with Windows Backup and TrueNAS. Think it really wants NTFS.

DocPMD

Dabbler
Try Veeam and if it works you’re golden. I’m sure there is an issue with Windows Backup and TrueNAS. Think it really wants NTFS.
I think you may be right about the NTFS constraint. I know it has that restraint for backup to external drives.

Was hoping it may be different for network drives.

Veeam is better anyway tbh ;)

DocPMD

Dabbler
Veeam is better anyway tbh ;)
I'm sure it is. Just went to their website and it really looks like it is geared toward enterprise customers. I'm just a home user who needs one lousy drive synced on TrueNAS server. Seems like way overkill. Can't even figure out the cost!

It’s free. Don’t be put off by it being Enterprise ready, you’re using TrueNAS and that’s Enterprise ready. You get an Enterprise product for free and then get to use another enterprise product to backup your PC for free. Don’t sniff at it just enjoy it

DocPMD

Dabbler
It’s free. Don’t be put off by it being Enterprise ready, you’re using TrueNAS and that’s Enterprise ready. You get an Enterprise product for free and then get to use another enterprise product to backup your PC for free. Don’t sniff at it just enjoy it
Sounds good

Was hoping it may be different for network drives.
SMB is SMB. I don't think that Windows 11 backup software cares (or even checks) what the underlying filesystem is on the server's end.

Can you post the output of getfacl commands against the dataset and folder?

Redcoat

MVP
Another vote here for the free version of Veeam - been using it for 4-5 years without issue - hated the Windows Backup and Restore.

DocPMD

Dabbler
SMB is SMB. I don't think that Windows 11 backup software cares (or even checks) what the underlying filesystem is on the server's end.

Can you post the output of getfacl commands against the dataset and folder?
Sorry, don't know what you mean.