Avoiding internet connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twelve12pm

Cadet
I'm thinking about installing a FreeNAS system and so far I've played with it on a virtual machine.

When it comes time to set up a "real" server, is it possible to reduce / minimize / or avoid altogether connecting it to the Internet, but still benefit from NTP, email of system status to the administrator, etc? The purpose would be to gain some security by minimizing exposure. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Zredwire

Explorer
You could avoid connecting it to the internet if you have an onsite NTP and Mail server. If not then (depending on your firewall) you could block it from the internet accept the ports needed for NTP and Mail.

Last edited:

NASbox

Guru
I'm thinking about installing a FreeNAS system and so far I've played with it on a virtual machine.

When it comes time to set up a "real" server, is it possible to reduce / minimize / or avoid altogether connecting it to the Internet, but still benefit from NTP, email of system status to the administrator, etc? The purpose would be to gain some security by minimizing exposure. Any pointers would be appreciated.

I'm assuming you are a (home/soho/small business) user and not part of a larger organization with a managed network. (Good to give context with your question.)

I don't know if FreeNAS contains a firewall or if it has been stripped out, if so, I guess you could activate it and set up IP based rules in that firewall. Maybe someone can comment who knows the details.

I think this is best handled in your network - do yourself a favour and set up a pfSense router (or other decent router that offers proper monitoring and control) if you possibly can.

I personally would not trust the consumer grade routers or even worse what the ISP provides for firewall under any circumstances! They are often insecure when purchased (or even worse have a back door in them), they don't generally get patched, they offer little or no way to monitor and control traffic. That's why I have a pfSense running my network. (Open source with a lot of knowledgeable people watching it.)

pfSense handles ALL dhcp, ntp, and dns (any dns/ntp with hardcoded addresses are redirected and handled internally and I get my ntp directly from NRC (Canada) public servers), so it cuts down a lot of messy traffic that could be hiding malicious activity.

My FreeNAS has limited internet connectivity OUTBOUND. I connect to a webserver to suck down backups over SSH, so I have a very specific rule - SSH Destination WebServer / any other non-local addresses/protocols BLOCKED. I also connect for outbound SMTP to send notifications - again a very specific rule only to the allowed SMTP server.

I don't use internet printing, and my tv/media player is insecure so none of these devices have any access to the internet. (These devices often call home and are used by hackers to gain entry to a network.)

If you do decide you want some remote access pfSense can do it the right way with a secure VPN (TLS security, 2048/4096 bit key and a password). Whatever you do don't use port forwarding or odds are you will get hacked.

There's a lot you can do if you have a decent gateway firewall-and if you don't you're pretty much at the mercy of your devices.

Good luck.... hope this is of some help.

twelve12pm

Cadet
I'm assuming you are a (home/soho/small business) user and not part of a larger organization with a managed network. (Good to give context with your question.)

It's a SOHO / Small Business context. I'll be sure to mention that next time.

I don't know if FreeNAS contains a firewall or if it has been stripped out, if so, I guess you could activate it and set up IP based rules in that firewall. Maybe someone can comment who knows the details.

I think this is best handled in your network - do yourself a favour and set up a pfSense router (or other decent router that offers proper monitoring and control) if you possibly can.

I personally would not trust the consumer grade routers or even worse what the ISP provides for firewall under any circumstances! They are often insecure when purchased (or even worse have a back door in them), they don't generally get patched, they offer little or no way to monitor and control traffic. That's why I have a pfSense running my network. (Open source with a lot of knowledgeable people watching it.)

pfSense handles ALL dhcp, ntp, and dns (any dns/ntp with hardcoded addresses are redirected and handled internally and I get my ntp directly from NRC (Canada) public servers), so it cuts down a lot of messy traffic that could be hiding malicious activity.

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of pfSense! That sounds very interesting indeed and I am looking into that. It appeals to me that, like FreeNAS, it is built upon (a customized) FreeBSD. That may make it easier to administer the network (fewer OS-specific details to learn about, etc).

Like you, I do not trust the consumer grade routers. Those tend to come with very little (if any) documentation, so you have little to no idea what they're doing/blocking/etc, and are almost certainly never patched.

My FreeNAS has limited internet connectivity OUTBOUND. I connect to a webserver to suck down backups over SSH, so I have a very specific rule - SSH Destination WebServer / any other non-local addresses/protocols BLOCKED. I also connect for outbound SMTP to send notifications - again a very specific rule only to the allowed SMTP server.

I don't use internet printing, and my tv/media player is insecure so none of these devices have any access to the internet. (These devices often call home and are used by hackers to gain entry to a network.)

If you do decide you want some remote access pfSense can do it the right way with a secure VPN (TLS security, 2048/4096 bit key and a password). Whatever you do don't use port forwarding or odds are you will get hacked.

There's a lot you can do if you have a decent gateway firewall-and if you don't you're pretty much at the mercy of your devices.

Good luck.... hope this is of some help.

It sounds like this setup could work, as the pfSense machine will provide the necessary NTP services, etc.

Thank you for your input!

NASbox

Guru
pfSense is enterprise grade, it can do way more than a SOHO user will ever need. Learning curve is a bit tricky but once you have it figured out, it's solid. The deveolopers sell it to enterprise customers, so they have to be on the ball with updates. If you have IoT deveices, cameras etc. get a managed switch and keep that crud away from the rest of the network, and if possible totally isolated. If you do need access, VPN into your network.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.