Auxiliary Parameter for Samba version

ReinbachIV

Cadet
Hello, I was wondering if it's possible to select the version of Samba being used in a FreeNAS unit;
To clarify, I would like to use 3.02, but at the moment my FreeNAS installation automatically uses 3.1.1. My understanding is we're able to use an auxiliary parameter for SMB1, but is it possible to use this parameter to specify what build of SMB3 to use as well? I'm in need of 3.02 for my desired Windows 10/Server2016+2019 setup

Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello, I was wondering if it's possible to select the version of Samba being used in a FreeNAS unit;
To clarify, I would like to use 3.02, but at the moment my FreeNAS installation automatically uses 3.1.1. My understanding is we're able to use an auxiliary parameter for SMB1, but is it possible to use this parameter to specify what build of SMB3 to use as well? I'm in need of 3.02 for my desired Windows 10/Server2016+2019 setup

Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated.
SMB clients automatically negotiate the highest supported SMB sub-protocol. Currently this is SMB 3.11, which is a higher protocol version than 3.02. This means that Windows 10 will negotiate SMB 3.11, and Windows 8.1 will negotiate SMB 3.02. If you want to lower the maximum supported subprotocol, you can add the auxiliary parameter "server max protocol = SMB3_02".

See here: https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smb.conf.5.html#SERVERMAXPROTOCOL