autosnap.py not deleting some snapshots in VMware

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye

Cadet
Some of my VMs are growing with snapshots by the FreeNAS VMware-Snapshot feature.

I discovered an issue with the autosnap.py not deleting some of the self created snapshots correctly. The creation of the snapshot is logged in Vcenter, but no deletion is requested for some VMs.
A larger amount of the following messages is logged in /var/log/debug.log
Aug 21 06:00:19 freenas /autosnap.py: [tools.autosnap:208] Exception in doesVMSnapshotByNameExists

To my current understanding all the VMs showing this behavior are having at least a couple of pre-existing manual created snapshots in common. But also some VMs with snapshots don't show this behavior.

FreeNAS version is FreeNAS-11.0-U1 (aa82cc58d)

Anyone with a hint how to solve this and get the snapshots deleted immediately for all VMs?

Thanks
Daniel

D

dlavigne

Some of my VMs are growing with snapshots by the FreeNAS VMware-Snapshot feature.

I discovered an issue with the autosnap.py not deleting some of the self created snapshots correctly. The creation of the snapshot is logged in Vcenter, but no deletion is requested for some VMs.
A larger amount of the following messages is logged in /var/log/debug.log
Aug 21 06:00:19 freenas /autosnap.py: [tools.autosnap:208] Exception in doesVMSnapshotByNameExists

To my current understanding all the VMs showing this behavior are having at least a couple of pre-existing manual created snapshots in common. But also some VMs with snapshots don't show this behavior.

FreeNAS version is FreeNAS-11.0-U1 (aa82cc58d)

Anyone with a hint how to solve this and get the snapshots deleted immediately for all VMs?

Thanks
Daniel

Manually created snapshots will never auto-prune (ie must be deleted manually), and that is a feature.

However, if scheduled snapshots are not auto-pruning, you should create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org. If you do, post the bug # here.

hawkeye

Cadet
Bug #25658 is created.
That our manual created snapshots are not deleted by FreeNAS is clear and expected. The snapshots are all created by the "Periodic Snapshot Tasks"

Status
Not open for further replies.