Automatic Shutdown When HDD Reaches 50*C Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brosif_My_Nif

Explorer
Hey guys,

QUESTION: Is there a way to have FreeNAS shutdown when a hard drive reaches 50*C?

I have searched the forums but have not found this answer or many people asking about it. Our business FreeNAS server is not in a temperature controlled environment and it can not be moved to one.

I have SMART tests enabled and I do receive e-mails when a drive reach a "Critical" temperature of 45*C. I'm not sure how this would be done. Possibly through a Script? If anyone can offer any advice on how to make this happen, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and assistance!

m0nkey_

MVP
Is there anything you could do to improve the air flow around the drives, like adding additional fans in the case? Are you cleaning the fans/filters on a regular basis?

While shutting down is an option, you need to look at why they're getting so toasty and what can be done to keep the temperatures down. Spinning a drive down when it's hot then spinning it back up when it's cold adds additional stress.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I find it strange that you would rather shutdown a business server instead of focusing on fixing the problem. Won't your users be upset if the server shuts down unexpectedly? Crank the fans up and fix the cooling.

If you really want to shut things down just check the drives using smart with a script and run the shutdown command if they are over the threshold for to long.

Brosif_My_Nif

Explorer
Thanks for your feedback guys.

The server is located in a rack in a warehouse. The problem is ambient temperature. The only cooling to this warehouse are massive swamp coolers setup during the hot summer months each day. During the weekends when the shop is closed is when I see the drives reaching melting temperatures. There is no one onsite and we can't keep the swamp coolers running all weekend with the rear roll up bays open with no one there to monitor.

I would rather have the machine shut down if it reaches a very critical temperature than to continue running. If I come back on Monday and the server is offline, I will know the temperatures reached that critical limit and shutdown the server to prevent damage. Like I said, it will not be an interruption to the daily business since no one is there.

I've setup the server with Raid Z3 redundancy and an offsite backup because the environment is so brutal, but there's no way to improve the ambient temperatures when the shop is closed.

m0nkey_

MVP
Could you not put in one of them portable air conditioners? I've seen it done for small server closets, it might help in your case.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It's more about airflow than cooling. You just need more air flow, either in the building or locally in the server. If that doesn't work then you will have to write the shutdown script.

Stux

MVP
Write a script which checks the drive temps. Issue shutdown if max is greater than or equal 50.

Put it on a cron job every 5 minutes.

Does poweroff work in FreeNAS?

The various fan control scripts have code to get the max drive temps.

Stux

MVP
Alternatively, request a feature.

Brosif_My_Nif

Explorer
Write a script which checks the drive temps. Issue shutdown if max is greater than or equal 50.

Put it on a cron job every 5 minutes.

Does poweroff work in FreeNAS?

The various fan control scripts have code to get the max drive temps.

Would you mind helping me write out what that string of Script might look like and I can add it as a Chron job as your suggested? Thank you very much for your time and suggestions.

Last edited:

Brosif_My_Nif

Explorer
It's more about airflow than cooling. You just need more air flow, either in the building or locally in the server. If that doesn't work then you will have to write the shutdown script.

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Here in California we're about to get hit with a heat wave so I have a large, high speed fan blowing right on my servers 24/7. These drives are in a 24-Bay Supermicro chassis which has pretty good airflow already.

Trust me, I've done everything preventative I can besides purchasing an AC unit to blow cool air at the front of the machine 24/7 (Doubt my boss would be OK with that energy expense).

melloa

Wizard
Would you mind helping me write out what that string of Script might look like and I can add it as a Chron job as your suggested?

See attached to get you started. Change to fit your needs by adding a shutdown at critical temps and adjust variables as well.

Attachments

• monitor_hdd_temp.sh.txt
    8.1 KB · Views: 652
Status
Not open for further replies.