Auto Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico

Dabbler
Hello world =)
I have a harddrive with all my picture and documents and would like to have a backup. So it does a auto backup weekly or something like that.

I am using FreeNAS v.8.2 BETA4

Thanks for help

ProtoSD

MVP
Nico,

Tell us about your configuration. What OS is running on the computer the hard drive with your stuff you want to backup connected to? How is that computer connected to your NAS? How much space do your documents use?

Nico

Dabbler
In my freenas server i have 2 harddrives. One with data and another as a mirror or that harddisk, so no backup from pc's only a mirror disk in the server

ProtoSD

MVP
If your disks are mirrored already then you shouldn't need to do a backup, but if you just have 2 disks, one with data, and the other is empty, then you don't have a mirror yet. How is the disk with your data formatted? What file system does it have?

Nico

Dabbler
How do I do that? and is it possible that they can mirror themself ever week?

ProtoSD

MVP
Once you create a mirror, everything that gets written or changed on one automatically happens on the other almost immediately. The problem is (I think), is that you can't create the mirror after you already have data on one of your disks. You need to create the mirror when they're both empty and then add your data. I could be wrong, but some mirrors are like that unless I'm mistaken.

@matt, is there another way that I'm not aware of?

Nico

Dabbler
And if you could link to a guide on how to mirror them I would be very happy :P

as far as i can remember, you can add a mirror to an existing vdev, but don't quote me on that quite yet. i'e been burned before with this old version of zfs we use...

testing in progress.... well that was fast.

#zpool create testMirror /mnt/storage/d1
#zpool attach testMirror /mnt/storage/d1 /mnt/storage/d2

basically, i create a pool, testMirror consisting of a single file, then i attach a new file to it, and here it is. it will take some time to resilver your data, it has to replicate everything onto the second disk.

Code:
  pool: testMirror
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: resilver completed after 0h0m with 0 errors on Sat Jul 23 11:42:16 2011
config:

NAME                 STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	testMirror           ONLINE       0     0     0
	  mirror             ONLINE       0     0     0
	    /mnt/storage/d1  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    /mnt/storage/d2  ONLINE       0     0     0  73.5K resilvered

you'll have to export it through the gui, import it at the command line, add the mirror, allow it to resilver, export it, and re import it though the gui.

also note that this can only be done to top level disks and existing mirrors.

Nico

Dabbler
as far as i can remember, you can add a mirror to an existing vdev, but don't quote me on that quite yet. i'e been burned before with this old version of zfs we use...

testing in progress.

sounds good =) let us know how it turns out

Nico

Dabbler

testing in progress.... well that was fast.

#zpool create testMirror /mnt/storage/d1
#zpool attach testMirror /mnt/storage/d1 /mnt/storage/d2

basically, i create a pool, testMirror consisting of a single file, then i attach a new file to it, and here it is. it will take some time to resilver your data, it has to replicate everything onto the second disk.

Code:
  pool: testMirror
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: resilver completed after 0h0m with 0 errors on Sat Jul 23 11:42:16 2011
config:

NAME                 STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	testMirror           ONLINE       0     0     0
	  mirror             ONLINE       0     0     0
	    /mnt/storage/d1  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    /mnt/storage/d2  ONLINE       0     0     0  73.5K resilvered

you'll have to export it through the gui, import it at the command line, add the mirror, allow it to resilver, export it, and re import it though the gui.

also note that this can only be done to top level disks and existing mirrors.

Just gonna test it =) thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.