Assistance Fixing Broken Plugin & Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrannus

Dabbler
Hi

Ah, to get the story started correctly. I built my FreeNAS box and was playing around, installing plugins, not really sure what I was doing. In the midst of this I installed several plugins, many of which I uninstalled as I wasn't going to need them, and I left behind the Plex plugin. I think discovered a disk missing from my array, and long story short I totally reinstalled FreeNAS and rebuilt the ZFS array manually afterwards. This had left a jail behind.

I since removed that jail from the CLI and have rebooted and the jail is no longer detected under Jails, but it is under Storage.
I've repeatedly removed this jail, but it keeps coming back after a reboot. I am suspecting there is something creating it somewhere, which is in turn stopping me from installing the Plex plugin again.

Any ideas?

Thanks

joeschmuck

Old Man
rebuilt the ZFS array manually afterwards.
Manually? Please clarify.

My first thought was to tell you not to manually create anything. In your situation since you clearly don't have any data on your system is to Destroy the pool and recreate it using the GUI. If that doesn't fix your problem, let us know.

Tyrannus

Dabbler
Okay more detail needed as to exactly what happened.

It turned out my motherboard had a quirk. I originally installed the OS on an M2 disk, which was fine, but apparently connecting the M2 disabled one of the other SATA ports on the board, meaning one of my disks was missing to be added to the pool.

So I reinstalled the OS onto a USB flash drive instead, and disconnected the M2, and all 4 disks showed up fine for the pool. However when the new OS booted up and the wizard ran, it saw the pool, but would not mount it/create the volume. I'm honestly fuzzy as to what was wrong but when I chose to "manually" build the pool via the GUI in terms of selecting which disks I wanted for the pool, it built and worked OK.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I would still destroy the pool via the GUI and then all your drives should be there to create the pool via the GUI. This should clear up any configuration issues. I can't say it will fix your odd jail issue because I don't know all the history of steps you took but it will get you back to a clean slate.

Yea, those M2 ports are not all the same, some are SATA, some are PCI-E, and some are both. You should have read the user manual before purchasing the motherboard but hey, we all learn the hard way at times.

Tyrannus

Dabbler
Hi Joe

Yeah, when the disk didn't show up is when I checked the manual. It is PCI-E, but the board reports it as SATA0 and kills SATA0 on the board. Go figure.

How do I destroy the pool via the GUI? I can't find it (I have been looking and thought about doing this before). Also, how is data integrity when it comes to destroying the pool?

Thanks

Tyrannus

Dabbler
Never mind, worked out. RTFM is handy. Also found out I may be able to fix it without deleting the pool. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

joeschmuck

Old Man
lol, I love it when a plan comes together.

Tyrannus

Dabbler
In case anyone else is curious about what had happened here:

The plexmediaserver_1 dataset was still showing up under volumes. It had to be deleted from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.