Asrock Rack X470D4U - BIOS questions to other owners

DigitalMinimalist

Contributor
Question to other X470D4U owners:

I have the X470D4U with Ryzen 2700X and BIOS P3.50, BMC 02.20.00 and I have 2x 16GB Samsung ECC RAM M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ

1. I tried to adjust the ppt (power package tracking) via CBS/NBIO/SMU, but I do not have the "SMU" menu in my BIOS version. Any thoughts, or knowledge where I can find the setting? Any other thoughts to improve power consumption?
  2. I manually adjusted the RAM settings to 2666Mhz - runs fine so far - any other tips, e.g. DRAM voltage?
    • Memory Clock Speed = 1333Mhz (half DDR)
    • Tcl = 13h Clk = 19
    • Trcdrd = 13h Clk = 19
    • Trcdwr = 13h Clk = 19
    • Trp = 13h Clk = 19
    • Tras = 20h Clk = 32

ThreeDee

Guru
If power is of concern, you can turn off CPB and PBO
I know the BIOS of this board is a maze to get around in and I've never messed with those particular settings to offer up anything in that regards.. RAM is going to run at 1.20v so nothing really to mess with there

I run 2 different 2 x 16GB ECC UDIMM kits .. one is rated for 3200 .. the other is low profile 2666 stuff .. I just run everything at 2666 too

I was having issues with a 3700x where my Plex jail would crash with CPB and/or PBO enabled .. but 100% stable with them disabled
I upgraded to a 3900x and now I can run with PBO and CPB enabled .. but on this chip I have to disable C-States otherwise TrueNAS crashes

on an unrelated note, you can update to BMC 3.02

DigitalMinimalist

Contributor

Thank you - I just did the update and had to install the firmware again via FreeDOS, as the IPMI was not reachable any more via intranet.

Now works again after re-flash - good to excercise prior to using it in productive environment.

RAM:
Currently running Prime95 with RAM at 2933Mhz - Samsung ECC RAM is usually B-Die and should be capable to easily get to 3200mhz at up to CL14. - I run it with a second W11 installation and can see corrected ECC in the event viewer
CPU maxing out at 85C at full load (throttling starts at 105C)

poldi

Dabbler
If power is of concern, you can turn off CPB and PBO
I know the BIOS of this board is a maze to get around in and I've never messed with those particular settings to offer up anything in that regards.. RAM is going to run at 1.20v so nothing really to mess with there

I run 2 different 2 x 16GB ECC UDIMM kits .. one is rated for 3200 .. the other is low profile 2666 stuff .. I just run everything at 2666 too

I was having issues with a 3700x where my Plex jail would crash with CPB and/or PBO enabled .. but 100% stable with them disabled
I upgraded to a 3900x and now I can run with PBO and CPB enabled .. but on this chip I have to disable C-States otherwise TrueNAS crashes

Hi,
sorry i did not mean to hijack the thread however i need to ask if you had to make any other changes in the BIOS settings to get your Zen 2 CPU and truenas stable?
The reason I am asking is i recently picked up a ryzen 5 pro 4650G to replace my trusty 2600. However i have frequent (every 5-30 min) restarts of Truenas with this CPU in place.
I have tried BIOS 4.20 (and the beta 4.26) on my X470D4U. I disabled global C-states, CPB and PBO but to no effect.
When I slot my 2600 back in and roll the BIOS back to 3.50 all is well. So i would conclude that the hardware is fine.
So any hints on further BIOS settings that I might be missing?
Thanks for the help, poldi

ThreeDee

Guru
Hi,
sorry i did not mean to hijack the thread however i need to ask if you had to make any other changes in the BIOS settings to get your Zen 2 CPU and truenas stable?
The reason I am asking is i recently picked up a ryzen 5 pro 4650G to replace my trusty 2600. However i have frequent (every 5-30 min) restarts of Truenas with this CPU in place.
I have tried BIOS 4.20 (and the beta 4.26) on my X470D4U. I disabled global C-states, CPB and PBO but to no effect.
When I slot my 2600 back in and roll the BIOS back to 3.50 all is well. So i would conclude that the hardware is fine.
So any hints on further BIOS settings that I might be missing?
what are you running for RAM? IF only 2 sticks, are they in A1/B1? (different than the typical A2/B2 with desktop AM4 motherboards)
What Cooler? Although its a 65w TDP too, it might run warmer than a vanilla 2600 and overall might draw more power as well..
PSU?

Those 3 settings are the only ones I've had to mess with .. PBO and CPB off to get my old 3700x stable .. and C-States off (PBO, CPB on) to get my 3900x stable. .. unless the X470D4U isn't playing nice with the "G" part of your CPU (the iGPU) and there is some setting for that buried somewhere in that labyrinth of a BIOS to enable/disable/adjust/something ...

poldi

Dabbler
Hi,
I am running 2 Mushkin Proline ECC 3200-22 32GB DIMMs (most of the RAM on the supported list by ASRock is no longer available at reasonable prices so I went with those). They are installed in A1/B1. For the 2600 they run at 2400MT/s and for the 4650G they run at 3200MT/s. I did not fiddle with any of the BIOS settings for the RAM.
The cooler is a Dynatron 2U active cooler (fits in my 2U chassis). Per the spec sheet that should be very well capable to handle the 65W TDP. When the system crashes i also find no overtemp warnings in the BMC log. Also I have stressed the system with hour long plex transcodes and the temps barely breach 50C.
The PSU is a Seasonic SS-400H2U. This is a 2U server EPS PSU but is officially also suitable for ATX. My suspicion is that this might not be able to deal with the low power states (I only observe restarts during idle time not under load) and just shut off but this is just a guess.
I found some reports here in the forum with people setting ‘Power supply idle control’ to ‘typical’. That sounds very promising. However while the setting is available in the 3.50 BIOS, I don’t find it anymore in the 4.20 version (maybe it has been renamed).
I am currently thinking about putting my server on the bench and testing with a different PSU and if that does not help to maybe try clocking the RAM down.
Btw. for testing I also ordered a 5600G in parallel. That actually had the same stability issues. So maybe the G is really not a good option, although both of them are actually listed as supported.
So I am pretty much stumped at the moment. Maybe i flip the 4650G on ebay although i quite like the performance plus over the 2600.

ThreeDee

Guru
Manually set the RAM to a slower speed .. maybe start with 2400 and work your way up until it's no longer stable .. that might be your issue